subscribe: Daily Newsletter
search the site
Digital TV recorders choose Hitachi
TVonics has chosen Hitachi Global Storage Technology’s CinemaStar hard drives as the storage backbone for its new line of digital TV recorders.
Hitachi’s CinemaStar hard drive allows consumers to record as much as 125 hours of standard-definition video on TVonics’ DVR-FP250 and provides optimized capabilities like “bedroom quiet” acoustics as well as Smooth Stream technology to reduce disruptions in video delivery.
The new TVonics DVR-FP250 is among the first of its kind to offer Freeview Playback for recording free-to-air terrestrial television. The DVR features twin tuners and the CinemaStar 7K500 hard drive, allowing users to simultaneously record one channel while watching another. In addition, users are able to store, search and play back programming based on title and date of the program.
“As consumers transition from analog to digital television, they are becoming increasingly aware of the benefits of digital recording and are seeking products that offer high-capacity recording, quiet and reliable operation and low-power operation,” says Paul Fellows, managing director TVonics. “We chose the CinemaStar range of hard drives because of their class-leading performance and Hitachi’s commitment to remaining at the forefront of consumer oriented storage solutions.
With the advent of more and more consumer products that incorporate storage, Hitachi has developed the “smart” hard drive – customized features to address specific applications. With the set of customized features in the CinemaStar line of hard drives, Hitachi delivers capabilities specifically addressing the needs of digital TV recorders and set-top box applications including:
* Silent-seek acoustics for “bedroom-quiet” operation;
* Low-power idle allowing for cooler system operation and greater host-product reliability;
* SMART Command Transport and adaptive error recovery for optimized video streaming and picture quality;
* SmoothStream to minimize disruptions in video stream delivery;
* Thermal monitoring and Thermal Fly-height Control (TFC) to maintain consistent fly-height for improved error rates in varied temperature conditions.
CinemaStar 7K500 hard drives are available in 250GB, 320GB, 400GB and 500GB capacities.