Fortinet – a world leader in high-performance network security – has announced the first new additions to its secure application delivery product portfolio that are a direct result of the company’s recent acquisitions of Coyote Point Systems and XDN.
The FortiADC-300E is a high-performance application delivery controller (ADC) for mid-sized enterprises that combines traditional load balancing with advanced features that route traffic at the application level and offload secure HTTPS transactions from servers.
FortiDirector is a hosted global server load balancing (GSLB) service for medium and large enterprises, application service providers (ASPs) and software as a service (SaaS) providers that bridges application traffic across multiple data centres and works with the FortiADC, FortiBalancer and Coyote Point Equaliser application delivery product lines.
Together, the appliances and the service greatly enhance application performance for end-users.
“To meet the rapid growth of secure applications, enterprises are demanding the integration of high performance security features into all aspects of their IT infrastructure, especially beginning at the front door with the application delivery controller,” says John Maddison, VP of marketing for Fortinet.
“As a logical extension to Fortinet’s leadership in the high performance network security market, the FortiADC-300E and FortiDirector combine to offer blazing fast HTTP performance, high reliability and optimised support of secure traffic across multiple data centres.”
Based on Coyote Point’s top-selling Equaliser E370LX application delivery appliance, FortiADC-300E extends the current FortiADC line-up into the mid-market with the highest performance and best value in its class.
Key features include:
* Up to 4,8Gbps of L4 throughput and up to 75 000 L7 requests per second provides class-leading performance that can handle almost any medium-sized business application environment;
* 7 500 HTTPS transactions per second helps to offload secure application traffic from servers to increase application performance and improve end-user response times;
* Advanced L7 policy-based routing gives customers granular control of traffic no matter how complex the application or data centre infrastructure;
* Multiple high-availability failover options include Multi-Active N+M failover. This feature puts spare appliances to work instead of sitting idle while waiting for a failover to occur; and
* IPv6 6-in-4 Tunnelling helps organisations easily manage the transition to IPv6 by translating IPv6 traffic at the ADC level and routing it to destinations on an IPv4 network.
FortiDirector GSLB is a hosted service using XDN’s CloudDirector platform providing a new level of application delivery to the FortiADC product family. Most GSLB solutions for application delivery reside on the ADC or require a separate appliance.
With FortiDirector, instead of requiring GSLB to be managed within a customer’s IT infrastructure, the service elevates it to a global DNS-based network that routes traffic anywhere in the world quickly and reliably.
FortiDirector’s DNS resolution can route traffic to any externally available IP address.
This offers the ability to connect to applications managed by any of Fortinet’s ADC solutions and provides interoperability with existing ADC appliances from other manufacturers. It’s also one of a handful of solutions in the market that can route traffic to single servers without requiring an ADC or a hosted server solution.
Key features of FortiDirector include:
* Load balance any protocol through DNS-based GSLB to span any Web-based application across multiple data centres;
* Advanced API-based health checking routes traffic to best performing resources based on server and network health;
* Route traffic based on closest servers to reduce latency or by time of day to take advantage of off-hour discounts with ISPs;
* Powerful realtime reporting gives up-to-the minute status of an application’s performance;
* Pay-as-you-go cloud service model scales easily without the hassle of managing new hardware or software; and
* Application environments and business rules only take minutes to set up and are updated within minutes across FortiDirector’s global network.