subscribe: Daily Newsletter
search the site
HP printers offer enhanced security
HP has announced three new enterprise class LaserJet printers that deliver increased protection against malicious attacks. The stronger security is part of a broader HP strategy to provide the deepest security across PCs and printers.
“Protecting against security breaches is one of the biggest challenges our customers face,” says Tuan Tran, vice-president and GM: and Enterprise Solutions business at HP. “HP is helping customers secure their devices, documents and data by defending our enterprise printers with the strongest protection in the industry.”
Printer security is a topic of growing importance. According to the Ponemon Institute, 64 percent of IT managers believe their printers are likely infected with malware. At the same time, 56 percent of enterprise companies ignore printers in their endpoint security strategy.
To help address this gap, HP is delivering its new HP LaserJet Enterprise printers and multi-function printers (MFPs) with industry leading security features built in, including:
* HP Sure Start enables detection of and self-healing recovery from malicious BIOS attacks, extending the same BIOS security protecting HP’s Elite line of PCs since 2013 to new HP LaserJet Enterprise printers.
* Whitelisting ensures only known, good firmware can be loaded and executed on a printerRun-time Intrusion Detection is a new feature providing in-device memory monitoring for malicious attacks. It was developed in partnership with Red Balloon Security, an embedded device security company started by researchers from Columbia University. The company has done extensive research for several government agencies, as well as private sector companies in industries such as telecommunications and controller systems.
These new features will be standard on new HP LaserJet Enterprise printers and OfficeJet Enterprise X printers with PageWide Technology going forward. With a firmware update, these three features can also be enabled on several HP LaserJet Enterprise printers available since April. In addition, Whitelisting and Run-time Intrusion Detection can be added to many existing HP LaserJet and OfficeJet Enterprise X printers launched since 2011 through an HP FutureSmart service pack update. FutureSmart is HP firmware that helps protect our customers’ investments in HP Enterprise printers by enabling the delivery of new capabilities via updates.
Beyond the printer itself, HP also helps customers protect their print environment with solutions to manage security. HP JetAdvantage Security Manager, the industry’s only policy-based printer security compliance solution, lets IT establish and maintain security settings such as closing ports, disabling access protocols, auto-erasing files and more. When a reboot occurs, the HP Instant-On Security feature checks and resets any impacted settings automatically to bring devices into compliance with the organisation’s policy. Earlier this autumn, HP JetAdvantage Security Manager was updated for greater automation, including auto-discovery of devices to make it easier to find and add printers to manage.
HP will continue to focus on security for its printing portfolio by delivering market leading security technology for new and existing printers, helping customers better protect their devices, data and documents.
The new HP Enterprise LaserJet printers and MFPs deliver the fastest real world print performance in their class with the fastest first page out and dual-sided print speeds and lowest total energy consumption per page. These printers were built for ease of use and include support for printing from mobile devices. Designed for workgroups of five to 15 users, printing up to 7 500 pages per month, the printers benefit from the increased performance, protection and print capacity of the new HP Original Toner cartridges with JetIntelligence.
The new models include:
* The HP LaserJet Enterprise M506 series for monochrome printing with a 25% smaller footprint and dual-sided print speeds up to 71% faster than its predecessor.
* The HP LaserJet Enterprise MFP M527 series which offers monochrome printing in an MFP that includes single pass, two-sided scanning, an 20,3cm colour touch screen control panel to support advanced workflow, and first page out speeds up to 33% faster than its predecessor.
* The HP Color LaserJet Enterprise MFP M577 series delivers outstanding color printing in an MFP that includes single pass, two-sided scanning, an 20,3cm colour touch screen control panel and optional keyboard , to support advanced workflow, as well as dual-sided print speeds up to 43% faster than its predecessor.