Shoddy paperwork has raised a storm of speculation around Vodacom's operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), with both the new MD and the company's financial director returned to South Africa within days of each other. 

Mervyn Visagie was appointed as MD of Vodacom DRC, effective 1 April, having previously run the company's operation in Lesotho.
However, arriving to take up his position earlier this month, he and his wife were detained at the airport before being sent back to South Africa – according to a Vodacom statement because he had inadvertently been issued with a tourist rather than a business visa.
This followed just days after the financial director, Charl Slabbert, also returned to South Africa, this time because of an expired work permit, says Vodacom. The company was unable to confirm reports that he had been detained for two days prior to returning to South Africa.
Vodacom DRC (then Congo) was established on 11 December 2001 and the Vodacom network was officially launched on 1 May 2002. Vodacom International Mauritius owns a 51% interest in Vodacom DRC, with the remaining 49% owned by Congolese Wireless Network.
As at September 2006, Vodacom DRC boasted just over 2-million subscribers, accounting for a 49% market share, and a 6,6% market penetration.
Visagie was appointed as MD of Vodacom DRC in February 2007, when Vodacom announced a raft of high-profile appointments.