Gartner has placed the McAfee in the leaders quadrant in its "Magic Quadrant for Network Intrusion Prevention System Appliances, 1H08" as published on February 14.
According to Gartner, vendors listed in the leaders quadrant "demonstrate balanced progress and effort in all execution and vision categories. Their actions raise the competitive bar for all products in the market, and they can change the course of the industry. To remain leaders, vendors must have demonstrated a track record of delivering successfully in enterprise IPS deployments and in winning competitive assessments.
"Leaders produce products that provide high signature quality and low latency, are innovating with or ahead of customers' challenges (such as using endpoint intelligence to make more-efficient detections) and have a range of models.
"Leaders continually win selections and are consistently visible on enterprise shortlists. However, a leading vendor is not a default choice for every buyer, and clients should not assume that they must buy only from vendors in the Leaders quadrant."
Factors contributing to a company's ability to execute include products and services, overall viability, sales and marketing execution and customer experience.
Gartner evaluates a company's completeness of vision by considering its market understanding, sales and marketing strategy, offering or product strategy, business model and innovation.
"We believe our position in the leaders quadrant of this highly-regarded network IPS assessment confirms our commitment to network security and our dedication to protecting our customers' business by proactively securing their network infrastructures," says Chris van Niekerk, regional director of McAfee South Africa.
"Customers and partners turn to McAfee's network IPS solutions because of our comprehensive, integrated and proven approach to network security."
Since pioneering the IPS industry with the world's first purpose-built intrusion detection and prevention appliance, the McAfee IntruShield network security platform has continued to raise the bar for next-generation IPS technology by delivering a series of industry firsts, including:
* The first to integrate signature, anomaly and DoS detection in a single appliance to provide comprehensive detection and blocking of threats and attacks;
* The first to deliver real-time encrypted threat protection for securing critical eCommerce infrastructure;
* The first to deliver Virtual IPS technology for increased prevention accuracy and reduction in capital expenditure costs;
* The first to deliver integrated IPS and Internal Firewall functionality for enhanced internal security and lower total cost of ownership (TCO);
* The first to achieve certification to NSS Group's all-new Enterprise Multi-Gigabit IPS (MG-IPS) certification; and
* The first to deliver true purpose-built network security platforms with performance up to 10Gbps.