subscribe: Daily Newsletter

 

MS/Yahoo: Deal or no deal?

0 comments

Three days after Microsoft's deadline for Yahoo to accept its proposed acquisition deal, there is still no indication of whether the software giant is going to pursue its threatened hostile takeover or whether it will simply walk away.

Three weeks ago, Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer was clearly irritated by the slow progress of the deal when he sent a letter to Yahoo's board giving them until 26 April to accept the $44-billion proposal or face a possible proxy battle.
Ballmer has, however, since softened his stance and at a tech conference in Milan last week said that Microsoft also had the option of walking away from the deal.
This view was backed up by Microsoft CFO Chris Liddell during the company's quarterly results announcement last Thursday.
"Unless we make progress with Yahoo towards an agreement by this weekend, we will reconsider our alternatives," Liddell said. "We will provide updates as appropriate next week … these alternatives clearly including taking an offer to the Yahoo shareholders, or to withdraw our proposal and focus on other opportunities, both organic and inorganic."
As of today, though, neither company has issued any official comment around the proposed deal.