Distributor Drive Control Corporation (DCC) is now delivering Western Digital's latest high performance hard drive in its Raptor series – the VelociRaptor. This next-generation 10,000 RPM SATA hard drive is designed with an enterprise-class foundation but modified specifically for PC and Mac enthusiasts, and professional workstations.
The WD VelociRaptor hard drive comes packed with twice the capacity and a 35% performance increase over the previous generation.
The WD VelociRaptor hard drive is built with enterprise-class mechanics and packs 300 GB of storage capacity into a 2.5-inch enterprise form factor. The 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor drive is enclosed in the IcePack, a 3.5-inch mounting frame with a built-in heat sink — a customisation that fits the drive into a standard 3.5-inch system bay and keeps this powerful drive extra cool when installed in a high-performance desktop chassis.
Says Jenny Rex, sales director at DCC: "Demand for ever-higher PC performance continues to increase and WD's VelociRaptor hard drives are meeting the demands of PC enthusiasts and gamers. Speed is the name of the game with this drive and it delivers the greatest performance and reliability of all SATA hard drives currently on the market."
Features of the new WD VelociRaptor hard drives include:
* Speed – Built on the performance of the WD Raptor, these 10 000 RPM drives with SATA 3 Gb/s interface and 16 MB cache deliver big performance.
* Reliability – WD VelociRaptor drives are designed and manufactured to business-critical, enterprise-class standards to provide enterprise reliability in high duty cycle environments. The design results in the highest available reliability rating of any SATA drive at 1.4 million hours MTBF.
* IcePack mounting frame – The 2.5-inch WD VelociRaptor drives are enclosed in a 3.5-inch enterprise-class mounting frame with a built-in heat sink that keeps this powerful little drive extra cool when installed in high-performance desktop chassis.
* Rotary Acceleration Feed Forward (RAFF) – Optimises performance when the drives are used in vibration-prone, multi-drive chassis.
* SecurePark – Parks the recording heads off the disk surface during spin up, spin down and when the drive is off. This ensures the recording head never touches the disk surface, resulting in improved long-term reliability and increased drive protection when the chassis is moved.