AMD has achieved two world firsts in visual computing: the launch of the first teraFLOPS graphics card, the ATI Radeon HD 4850, and the launch of the first graphics card featuring ultra high bandwidth GDDR5 memory, the ATI Radeon HD 4870.
These two innovations combine with trademark AMD energy-efficient design and powerful DirectX 10.1 compatibility to deliver superior performance at the high-volume mainstream and performance price points.
“The ATI Radeon 4800 series represents a 2X performance jump over the ATI Radeon™ HD 3800 GPU, the biggest generational increase since the game-changing launch of the Radeon 9700 in 2002,” says Rick Bergman, senior vice-president and GM: Graphics Products Group at AMD. “AMD made a strategic decision to focus on GPU designs that maximised our efficiency and allowed us to provide enthusiasts, performance and mainstream users with the most compelling value proposition at every price point.
"The ATI Radeon 4800 series sets a new industry standard in key metrics such as performance-per-watt, performance-per-mm2 of chip die size, and performance-per-dollar.”
The ATI Radeon HD 4870, available immediately with a suggested retail price of USD$299, represents an unprecedented 1.2 teraFLOPS of visual compute power. It features a stock GPU core clock speed of 750 MHz, 512 MB of GDDR5 memory rated at 3.6 gigabits/second, and comes in a dual-slot PCI Express 2.0 configuration with a maximum board power of 160 watts.
The ATI Radeon HD 4800 series will allow users to experience HD digital content with visual fidelity while helping to enhance the definition and clarity of lower resolution visual media.
* The ATI Radeon HD 4800 series can help improve the definition and image quality of any visual media including standard DVDs and videos;
* The ATI Radeon HD 4800 series was designed to easily handle the visual fidelity and clarity of all standard formats of today’s high definition media;
* The ATI Radeon HD 4800 series includes new HD media capabilities, like picture-in-picture HD viewing, super fast format conversion of your favorite media, and support for the latest HD audio technologies like 7.1 surround sound.
The ATI Radeon HD 4800 series offers optimal performance and breakthrough efficiency with platform-independent intelligent power management.
* ATI PowerPlay™ technology intelligently adjusts requirements to ensure performance is there when you need it most while throttling back for lesser user demands.
* With the ATI Radeon HD 3870, AMD set a new performance per watt standard, which has been broken by the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series. Compared to the ATI Radeon HD 3870 series GPU, the ATI Radeon HD 4800 series delivers twice the performance while drawing only 20% more power.