Spectrum Multimedia has launched the Buffalo LinkStation Mini, Buffalo's
portable and smallest and quietest Network Attached Storage (NAS) device,
capable of storing a terabyte of data. In general, it achieves 60% lower
power consumption than 3,5-inch NAS drives.
The small size, fanless operation and low noise make it an ideal storage
solution for the home.
Despite its size, the device offers a wide range of features and provides
high-performance via a Gigabit Ethernet connection. Two 500GB 2,5-inch
drives also provide silent operation, making it an ideal option for the home
and professional user.
Patrick Benade, Spectrum Multimedia Buffalo product director, says: "Buffalo
has developed this product in line with consumer demand for a silent,
compact NAS solution – and in so doing, have also acknowledged market
concern in the area of power consumption."
It measures 40x82x135mm and weighs half a kilo. The device does not require
a fan, and the 2,5-inch drives require less power than 3,5-inch drives.
It can also be set automatically to power on/off when connected to a PC,
further reducing power consumption.
The device comes equipped with Buffalo's Web Access feature. This enables
users to instantly and securely access all digital files stored on the drive
whether they are situated at home or office, via an internet connection.
The unit includes a built-in DLNA-Certified media server by TwonkyVision
which enables playback of multimedia files through any DLNA compatible media
player. The Direct Copy function enables multimedia files to be transferred
directly onto the device from a digital camera, camcorder, USB flash drive
or USB storage.
Other features include:
* Integration with iTunes 7 so that users can access music on the move;
* Built-in print server;
* Easy setup and automatic backup via Buffalo's Memeo software;
* Ability to expand storage capacity by attaching an external drive through
USB port on the device;
* RAID 0 and 1 to offer the option of full data redundancy and security;
* Active Directory and NT Domain Support;
* Protects data by restricting access with group and user level security;
* Auto-Sensing 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Port;
* JumboFrame support; and
* Support for users of Windows 2000/XP/Vista & Mac OS X 10.3 or higher.