A global competition to find the most outrageous call received in a contact centre has come up with a winner.
Taking top honours in the Interactive Intelligence "Outrageous Interactions" call centre contest is Tracy R, a customer service specialist for a Tennessee-based bank.
Interactive Intelligence awarded Tracy with the grand prize of a trip for two to Hawaii. She won the contest by "popular" vote with the following customer service story entry:
"I received a call from a gentleman who was very upset:
– Caller: Somebody painted the outside of my branch!
– Me: Okay, sir, how can I help you today?
– Caller: Why would they paint the wall?
– Me: Well sir, it could be that the paint was scuffed, or there may have been graffiti. We try to keep our buildings looking nice.
– Caller: Well now I don't have my PIN number! How am I supposed to get my money out?
– Me: I'm sorry? I said, completely confused.
– Caller: I wrote my PIN number on the wall beside the ATM, and now they've painted over it! Why would they do that?
– Me: It sounds like they were trying to cover up the vandalism. I'd be happy to resend your PIN number to you."
Tracy's customer service story entry beat out nine other finalists with 29% of the vote as a result of the online "people's choice" voting segment of the contest.