Symantec has announced its Information Risk Management (IRM) strategy and products that help organisations to secure and manage unstructured information such as email, instant messages (IM) and files.
A new survey of IT leaders shows that unstructured information is not only a major driver of rising IT storage costs, but also a root cause of security and business challenges that stem from failure to manage information risk. Symantec Information Risk Management enables organisations to protect their information everywhere, reduce storage costs and automate high cost work flows.
A Symantec survey of IT managers in September found the following:
* 85% rated protecting business information in motion and at rest "important" to "extremely important";
* Half say that their email and SharePoint content is growing at a rate of more than 30% annually;
* 75% indicate that reducing the amount of storage for unstructured information is "important" to "extremely important"; and
* Only 15% would "bet their paycheck" that they could quickly produce information required for legal discovery.
"Symantec meets both the short and long-term challenges with an approach that protects unstructured information whenever it flows, wherever it resides," says Francis deSouza, senior vice-president: Information Risk Management, Symantec. "Our approach drastically cuts the cost of storage, server and energy consumption as well as simplifies and automates the process of finding information for business, legal and regulatory purposes."
As part of its Vision Conference for users in Europe today, Symantec announced details of the three new products at the core of its Information Risk Management strategy. Each product set is number one in market share in its market segment according to Gartner and IDC giving customers confidence using them.
* Symantec Brightmail Gateway 8.0 – Formerly Symantec Mail Security, Brightmail Gateway offers enhanced sender reputation technology and improved management features to deliver three key value propositions: Comprehensive inbound protection across email and IM, with effective and accurate antispam and antivirus protection; Outbound control, implementing advanced content filtering and data loss prevention technologies to help companies protect sensitive information and implement regulatory compliance; Simple management and administration with comprehensive reporting and granular controls.
* Symantec Data Loss Prevention 9.0 – Symantec broadens coverage of endpoint events, simplifies endpoint DLP management and enhances its data discovery capabilities in this new version of Symantec Data Loss Prevention. With complete data loss prevention coverage across endpoint, network and storage systems through a single, unified interface, Symantec Data Loss Prevention provides customers the ability to discover, monitor and protect confidential information wherever it is stored or used.
* Symantec Enterprise Vault 8.0 – Symantec's intelligent archiving platform now helps organisations reduce the costs of storing unstructured information by more than 60 percent through a combination of advancements to its data de-duplication and electronic discovery features and through associated energy cost savings. Enterprise Vault lets organisations store, manage and discover information enterprise-wide, becoming the primary repository for unstructured information.