Johannesburg has been selected as one of 106 cities around the world to be developed as a sustainable intelligent city. Harare and Antananarivo have also been selected.
The 106 cities are represented by Metropolis, which has a "Vision 2030" for sustainable cities.
Cisco has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to advise Metropolis on how to build a collaborative operating model between Metropolis member cities and establish an Urban Leadership Academy to demonstrate how future cities can effectively use technology to advance clean public transportation, decrease pollution through intelligent urban development, offer pervasive access to citizen-centric services and support sustainable economic growth.
As part of the strategic collaboration, Cisco will collaborate with Metropolis over an initial two-year period to develop new practices and enhance existing models in urban development and sustainability.
Cisco and Metropolis have agreed to collaborate on the following main areas:
* Develop the 'Vision 2030' for sustainable cities – Cisco and Metropolis will develop a long term vision for sustainable cities enabled by networked technologies.
* Collaboration for urban innovation – Metropolis and Cisco will explore the possibility of establishing regional Innovation Centres. The regional innovation centers will anchor implementation actions on different policy areas, associating the selected cities and Cisco to develop new platforms and tools to manage urban services.
* Cisco will also provide strategic advice on the program and support the development of a partnership approach in urban innovation for Metropolis and its business associates, with a specific focus on technology and business partnerships.
* Create a digital collaboration platform for Metropolis members – Cisco will use its collaborative solutions, such as Cisco WebEx and Cisco TelePresence, to facilitate the creation of a collaborative operating model between Metropolis and its member cities. Using a Web 2.0 approach, Cisco will help facilitate the exchange of innovation between cities across the world.
* Establish an Urban Leadership Academy – Cisco and Metropolis aim to jointly develop a framework, with training and skills programmes, that demonstrates how cities can use technology more effectively to drive sustainability. Training modules will also help city leaders, urban planners and practitioners better understand the potential role and impact of networked technologies on the performance of their cities.