HP has expanded its Total Care initiative for small and medium enterprises (SMEs) with several new products, solutions and services that reduce costs, improve productivity and enhance efficiency.
To help SMB customers keep their businesses up and running with less capital and fewer employees and technology resources, HP has introduced infrastructure offerings including storage, virtualisation, remote access and consolidation solutions.
"Today's economic climate has presented the SMB with unique challenges. Never before has there been such a need to get value out of technology investments; to drive costs down while maintaining the competitive edge," says Yesh Surjoodeen, TSG storage business unit manager at HP South Africa. "HP is helping SMBs to use the economic downturn as an opportunity to restructure and streamline their technology infrastructure.
"By taking the guesswork out of server solutions with our bundle approach, we are ensuring that smaller companies are making the right choices to deal with their own, unique challenges. The small businesses of today may become the big businesses of tomorrow, and our new offerings are designed to grow with the needs of a company.
"Ultimately, it is about doing more with less."
Customers can better manage data growth while reducing the complexity and costs of storage through:
* The HP StorageWorks X1000 and X3000 Network Storage Systems unify file and application storage to simplify storage infrastructures. With a single, unified system, SMBs do not need to invest in separate storage systems for file and database data. The new network-attached storage solutions provide up to 35% more usable capacity through file deduplication while also increasing file serving performance by up to 30%.
* The HP StorageWorks 2000i and 2000sa G2 Modular Smart Arrays feature 2.5-inch, small form factor drives that increase storage capacity by up to 33% per unit of rack space. They also reduce power requirements up to 50%.
To help customers protect and grow their businesses, HP unveiled:
* The HP Virtualisation Bundle, the industry's first integrated solution that allows SMBs to more easily and cost-effectively deploy virtualisation by transforming existing server disk drives into highly available shared storage. The bundle allows customers to reduce costs up to 35% by eliminating the need for external storage to support application high availability. The bundle includes HP server, storage and networking technology as well as integrated virtualisation software from HP and VMware.
* HP Secure Remote Access solutions, which help reduce costs, eliminate business disruptions and maximise sales opportunities for SMBs with mobile workforces. These solutions, powered by Citrix XenApp Fundamentals, allow mobile workers to maintain constant and secure connections with critical business applications regardless of their location or connectivity device. As part of the solutions, which include servers, storage, networking, PCs and printers, HP is offering SMB channel partners discounted servers and storage through the HP SmartBuy programme. Additionally, customers and partners can take advantage of a free trial of Citrix XenApp Fundamentals.
* The HP 4410t Mobile Thin Client, which provides enhanced security access to server-based computing and reduces IT workload while providing the mobility of a notebook. With improved data security, easy manageability, no hard drive, fewer moving parts and lower power consumption, this thin client reduces SMBs' carbon footprint and costs.
To help customers reduce costs, improve productivity and more efficiently manage data and operations, HP announced:
* The HP Total Care Branch Office Consolidation solutions, which offer customisable configurations of servers, storage, networking, PCs and printers to help SMBs significantly reduce the time needed to consolidate multiple branch sites into a single location. According to an IDC white paper, the solutions can reduce total technology costs by up to 25% when combined with improved technology practices.
New printing solutions deliver professional-quality output at significant cost and energy savings versus competing laser printers:
* Saving up to 50% on energy consumption with HP Instant-on Technology, the HP LaserJet Enterprise P3010 Printer series is a high-performance networked(9) printer for businesses needing to print high volumes with added protection for confidential documents on a variety of media types.
* Through HP Smart Template Printing, SMBs can save time and money by printing marketing materials and business documents on free, customisable templates at the touch of a button from a PC or notebook.
* The HP Officejet 6000 Printer series delivers professional-quality prints at fast speeds, offers up to 40 percent less cost per page and energy use than comparable laser printers. The series also was recently classified as "Highly Reliable" by Buyers Laboratory.
* The HP Officejet 7000 Wide Format Printer is HP's first entry-level, wide-format printer with individual inks. Ideal for creating business documents and marketing collateral, it delivers professional colour documents and photo-quality, borderless prints at the lowest cost per page versus in-class inkjets.
As part of the HP Eco Solutions programme, the three new printers are Energy Star qualified and use significantly less energy than competitive laser printers based on several key environmental attributes listed on the HP Eco Highlights label.