Improving the overall efficiency of virtualised environments, Emulex' LightPulse LPe12000 single-channel and LPe12002 dual-channel 8Gbps PCI Express 2.0 host bus adapters (HBAs) are now available to the South African channel from official distributor, Drive Control Corporation.
The products provide increased bandwidth, manageability and CPU efficiency necessary to support the deployment of virtualised servers in mixed operating system (OS) environments. Virtualised environments require adapters which can connect a large number of virtualised servers without compromising on reliability, performance and availability.
In this light a recent benchmark test, for example, found that Emulex's LPe12002 8Gb/s Fibre Channel HBAs offer 37% greater performance over competing 8Gbps products.
Comments Rajen Naicker, Emulex Product Specialist at DCC: "The Emulex HBAs is an ideal solution for enterprise, mixed-OS and virtual server environments. It will provide our resellers with the performance to deliver server and storage infrastructures that offer greater functionality, improved system-level performance and increased application responsiveness which is critical in today's enterprise environments."
Taking virtualisation one step further, the Emulex LightPulse family of HBAs also supports Virtual HBA technology, which provides the scalability necessary to support an increase in the number of applications running on virtualised servers.
The Emulex LightPulse Virtual HBA technology, for example, allows users to effectively virtualize the HBA functionality so each virtual machine running on a server can have independent access to its own protected storage.
The HBAs offer the following benefits to resellers and their enterprise customers:
* Provides performance for the enterprise;
* Integrates seamlessly into existing SANs;
* Supports IT server and energy conservation initiatives;
* Allows application of SAN best practices, tools and processes with virtual server deployments;
* Protects sensitive data from unauthorised access; and
* Assures data availability and data integrity.
Key technical features include:
* Support for Message Signalled Interrupts extended (MSI-X), improves host utilisation and enhances application performance;
* Support for 8Gbps, 4Gbps and 2Gbps Fibre Channel devices;
* Comprehensive virtualisation capabilities with support for N-Port ID Virtualization (NPIV) and Virtual Fabric;
* Host to Fabric FC-SP authentication;
* BlockGuard ready – ensures end-to-end data integrity;
* Common driver model allows a single driver to support all Emulex HBAs on a given OS;
* Easy deployment of new firmware with minimal server reboots; and
* Efficient centralised administration of Emulex HBAs via powerful management tools.