Research In Motion (RIM) has launched its BlackBerry App World in South Africa giving users access to a range of free personal and business applications.
In a statement, RIM says local BlackBerry users can now download the App World application by visiting www.blackberry.com/za/appworld from their handset.
BlackBerry App World is designed to automatically present the relevant catalogue of applications available for a user’s specific BlackBerry smartphone model and it can be accessed over both Wi-Fi and cellular networks.
“BlackBerry App World lets you personalise your BlackBerry smartphone with a wide range of applications that let you do more with your time while you’re on the go,” says Deon Liebenberg, regional director for sub-Sahara Africa at RIM. "Consumers in South Africa can now easily discover and download a wide variety of free BlackBerry applications directly from their smartphone."
Some of the App World features include:
* Front Page Carousel – BlackBerry App World showcases several applications on its front page carousel, making it easy for users to browse through a select number of featured applications. Featured applications will vary from time to time, helping users discover new applications for practically every aspect of life.
* Top Downloads – The “Top Downloads” area lists applications that are the most downloaded.
* Categories – features a variety of application categories. Categories include games, entertainment, IM and social networking, news, weather, productivity and more.
* Search/Filter – includes a keyword search with filtering capabilities.
* Reviews – Applications on BlackBerry App World can be reviewed by users and those reviews are reflected in star ratings. Users can easily access and read reviews, see screenshots and read a description of each application before they download it.
* Recommend – users can recommend applications to other people through email, PIN, SMS message or BlackBerry® Messenger.
* Application Storage – includes a folder called My World, which keeps track of applications the user has downloaded. It is a personal storage space that allows users to uninstall and re-install applications.
* Application Archiving – users can archive applications to a microSD card or built-in storage memory on their BlackBerry smartphone.
* Update Notifications – users are notified of updates to applications they’ve downloaded on BlackBerry App World.