Rectron has unveiled details of one of the world’s first fully USB 3.0-compliant mobile hard drive kits: the Seagate BlackArmor PS110, which includes a 500GB 7200RPM 2.5–inch portable hard drive, power cable and PC Card Express USB 3.0 card.
According to Seagate, the kit – which incorporates everything a user requires to upgrade a modern notebook to a full USB 3.0 system — delivers real-world, proven speeds of up to three times faster than its USB 2.0 predecessor, making it one of the fastest portable hard drives available in the international market.
USB 3.0 speed has been specified at 4.8 Gbs per second, which is – at a theoretical level, at least – a ten times improvement over USB 2.0. Taking this theoretical performance into account, Seagate reports that its new Seagate BlackArmor USB 3.0 portable drive will achieves at least three times the performance levels over USB 2.0 in real world testing.
“The Seagate BlackArmor PS110 targets mobile users, road warriors, and anybody who needs fast, efficient and reliable external storage,” said Werner Joubert, Personal Systems and Storage Business Manager.
“Anybody looking for the fastest possible external storage need look no further. You get USB 3.0 for your notebook as well as the USB 3.0 external hard drive — putting you in the fast lane.”
Preloaded software, powered by Acronis, ensures automatic data protection with full-system back-up, SafetyDrill+ recovery and AES 256-encryption for backed-up files.
The “Try & Decide” feature allows users to create a secure, controlled temporary workspace on your computer. Users can try out new programs or change system settings without having to worry about losing data or damaging your system. When finished experimenting, simply decide to keep the changes or discard the recent activity as if it never happened.
Pricing details are not available yet, and the Seagate BlackArmor PS110 should be available in the second or third quarter of 2010.
* SafetyDrill+ recovery software allows you to restore you entire system to a previous point in time using a backup image;
* Protects backed up-files with AES 256-bit encryption;
* Includes everything you need to upgrade your laptop to USB 3.0;
* 7200 RPM drive with USB3.0 delivers 3x faster transfer speeds than USB2.0 drives;
* Kit includes everything you need to upgrade laptops to USB3.0;
* Automatically back up entire system including files, programs, OS and settings;
* Slim 12.5 mm thin form factor makes it effortless to carry while traveling;
* Product dimensions LxWxH: 130.00 mm x 80.00 mm x 12.50mm; and
* Weight: 0.178kg