Polycom has announced its scalable Polycom CMA Desktop desktop video collaboration application will now support Apple Mac OS X.
Polycom CMA Desktop for Mac OS X supports high quality video and voice communication and offers seamless interoperability with the existing Polycom CMA Desktop for Windows, as well as the estimated two million standards-based telepresence and video conferencing systems in use today.
“Polycom provides customers unrivalled flexibility and choice, allowing them to confidently standardise on Polycom solutions for end-to-end visual communications knowing they will support their unified communications needs, including multiple computing platforms,” says Joe Sigrist, senior vice-president and GM of video solutions at Polycom.
“Polycom CMA Desktop sets a new standard for flexibility, performance and interoperability for desktop video collaboration and we are happy to deliver on customer demand, particularly in the education, healthcare, creative services and entertainment markets, for Mac OS X support.”
Polycom CMA Desktop is tightly integrated within the Polycom Converged Management Application (CMA), the only comprehensive and fully redundant video network management solution that also vastly simplifies the provisioning, management and ease of use for extensive personal, room and immersive telepresence deployments across organisations. A single Polycom CMA server can support both the Windows and Mac OS X versions of CMA Desktop simultaneously.
This unique solution addresses key challenges organisations face when deploying desktop video, such as:
* Centralised Management and Control – By integrating the desktop video application within the management platform, Polycom gives IT administrators unprecedented provisioning, management and reporting capabilities for successfully deploying desktop video across organisations. Polycom CMA centrally controls user permissions through Active Directory credentials, manages endpoint software, monitors and reports on usage for detailed analysis of return on investment.
* Consistent Quality of Experience – Polycom CMA Desktop features Lost Packet Recovery™ technology, which ensures a consistent, high quality experience at the desktop, even when remote users are calling over less-than-perfect network environments such as the open Internet.
* Scalability – The Polycom CMA supports thousands of CMA Desktop users while simultaneously supporting personal, room and immersive telepresence deployments as well.
* Ease of Use – Users receive a pre-provisioned application that ensures proper settings and removes complexity. Users are able to easily add contacts from the corporate directory (Active Directory integration) and instantly launch video calls with the click of a name.
* Standards-Based Interoperability – Like all Polycom visual communication solutions, Polycom CMA Desktop is based on established video conferencing standards, native integration and open interoperability, allowing users to connect with other standards-based desktop and room video conferencing systems.