Sophos has announced SafeGuard Disk Encryption for Mac, a new addition to its data protection family which protects against data breaches of confidential and private information on MacBooks and Macs.
“According to a recent Gartner report, IT departments at mid-to-large companies are feeling the pressure to accommodate employees and contractors who purchase Mac computers with their personal funds and want to incorporate them into their daily work lives,” says Brett Myroff, CEO of regional Sophos distributor, Sophos South Africa.
The data stored on Macs often does not have the same level of protection as PCs, which puts companies at risk. The loss of Personally Identifiable Information (PII) – whether accidental or intentional – can have far-reaching negative effects if it were intercepted or fell into the wrong hands.
Many organisations are required to comply with a number of regulations and standards seeking to protect PII, including state data breach notifications, the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS), and the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA). “If a breach of any magnitude occurs as a result of not having data encrypted, companies could will face industry and state penalties as well as fines, lawsuits and potential criminal charges,” Myroff says.
Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption for Mac, which includes SafeGuard Enterprise and SafeGuard Easy, gives companies the ability to protect and enforce data protection on a single MacBook or a mix of Macs, Windows PCs and laptops – giving them broader security coverage and improved compliance with regulations.
Sophos SafeGuard Full-Disk Encryption for Mac provides:
* Sector-based encryption of disk volumes, including the Mac OS boot volume and data volumes as well as strong, standardized AES 256-bit encryption algorithm and optimised encryption/decryption algorithms for high performance.
* Sophos’s power-on user authentication (POA), which ensures that only authorised users are allowed access to encrypted data, while multi-user POA provides security for shared Macs. Encrypted data cannot be accessed even if hard drives are removed from Macs.
* The ability to quickly view status via the Mac-friendly graphical interface by authorised administrators. Authorised access can be automated via a simple scripting command for larger organisations. Sophos provides better visibility for administrators with comprehensive logs detailing encryption status and user interactions during the POA process, including failed logon attempts.
* On-the-fly encryption and decryption which is fully transparent to the end user, allowing them to go about their daily activities without interruptions.
* Advanced one-time credentials and alternate boot options to allow authorised users who have lost or forgotten passwords to securely access the system and renew those passwords. Administrators can also create a recovery POA on a USB or CD to securely boot and access encrypted data on Macs in emergencies.
* Quick deployment, with a small client installation file for easier distribution. Compatibility with existing Mac system administration tools, including Apple Remote Desktop. It also offers simple and flexible administration options for local or remote administration with easy-to-implement scripting commands.
Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection customers can add Sophos SafeGuard Disk Encryption for Mac without additional licensing or cost.