Ongoing electricity issues in South Africa make a UPS a vital aspect of any home or office, in order to protect users from surges and lost data.
However, rising utility costs have also highlighted the importance of going green and saving on electricity consumption.
Now, thanks to the new APC Back-UPS Pro range from distributors Drive Control Corporation (DCC), consumers can do both with one convenient, cost effective device.
The APC Back-UPS range is available in 900VA, 1200VA and 1500VA to suit a variety of different requirements, and incorporates a host of intelligent features that help users save electricity and avoid lost productivity during power outages.
Standard features on the range include abundant battery backup power, surge protection to safeguard against damaging power spikes and an automatic voltage regulator (AVR), which instantly adjusts high and low voltages to safe levels, so users can work indefinitely during brownouts and overvoltages.
In addition, power saving outlets are available on all of the devices in the range that automatically turn off idle peripherals, decreasing wasted power consumption during periods when devices are not in use. A high efficiency charging system and AVR Bypass also reduce power consumption.
"The unique green features of the APC Back-UPS range set these devices apart from the competition, following a worldwide trend towards greater eco-awareness and a local need to save electricity, given the rapidly rising utility costs," says Robert Brandt, UPS and infrastructure product specialist at DCC.
"On top of this the range includes an intuitive LCD display screen that indicates exactly how long users have to work until the battery goes flat, taking the traditional guesswork out of using a UPS."
Key features on the Back-UPS range include:
* Multiple battery backup and surge protected outlets (four on the 900, and five each on the 1200 and 1500, with one power saving controlled outlet on each) to keep CPUs, monitors and other critical devices running when the power goes out or fluctuates outside safe levels.
* Multiple surge only outlets (four on the 900, five each on the 1200 and 1500, with two power saving controlled outlets on the 900 and three on the 1200 and 1500) to protect printers, faxes and other equipment without reducing battery capacity.
* Data Line Surge Protection, which guards against surges and spikes traveling over Ethernet and telephone lines.
* Auto Shutdown Software which allows for the management of the Back-UPS from a computer via USB or serial interface. This feature saves files, shuts down systems when battery is low and records utility power and battery conditions.
* A push button circuit breaker to allow for quick recovery from overloads.
* Automatic and manual diagnostic testing.
* Two year warranty.
"The APC Back-UPS range includes all of the standard features of a UPS, as well as simple innovations that make the lives of consumers easier.
"This is a cost effective, intelligent, efficient line of devices that through its cost savings features will provide great return on investment, while delivering high levels of protection for small business and home users against unforeseen power related events," Brandt concludes.