Xerox has launched a free desktop application called Business of Your Brain, which analyses e-mails and calendar notices to identify those distractions that steer focus away from real business.
Available for download online, the Microsoft Windows desktop app securely synthesises data from a user’s Microsoft Outlook account and, through interactive visuals, outlines by day, week and month the activities, people, events and vocabulary that fill a user’s inbox.
“For today’s office worker, the inbox often defines our day, as e-mail and meeting notices dictate our every move,” says Christa Carone, chief marketing officer at Xerox. “Business of Your Brain offers a satirical yet humbling view of what stands between the inescapable inbox and the ability to focus on real work.”
By downloading the app, users can reveal the following insights:
* Meeting Buddy – show up to the office today dressed just like a colleague? Could be because they are the person with whom a user has the most meetings.
* Quickest to Panic – find out who sends the most e-mails flagged with the high alert exclamation point.
* Focus Drainer – what are the latest buzzwords in e-mail subject lines? The Focus Drainer results will clue users in.
* Motor Mouth versus Many Thanks – users all have a few contacts notorious for their lengthy e-mails; find out who takes the prize in an inbox. On the flip side, users will also see who most frequently adds to the e-mail count with "reply all" thank you notes.
* Most Ignored – delete e-mails without reading? Business of Your Brain will tell users who they are most likely to ignore.
“Sure, the Business of Your Brain app can fog your focus, but it also gives some not-so-subtle nods to taking back control of your workday. It is a lighthearted look at focus – or lack thereof – in business, a concept that’s serious to Xerox,” says Carone.
“Every day we work with our customers to help them get the best out of their business. From services that manage back-office activities to technology that keeps the front office running smoothly, we enable customers to focus on what matters most: real business.”
The app is compatible with Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7 and Microsoft Outlook 2003 or later.