Distributor, Drive Control Corporation (DCC) recently announced that Emulex OneConnect 10Gb Ethernet (10GbE) universal converged network adapters (UCNAs) and LightPulse 8Gbps Fibre Channel host bus adapters (HBAs) now support the enhanced Cisco Data Centre Fabric.
"Cisco continues to help drive network convergence in the data centre, particularly with new director-class, multihop FCoE capabilities that will bring convergence to life for more enterprises today," says Shaun Walsh, VP of marketing, Emulex.
"Leveraging Emulex connectivity within the enhancements offered by Cisco's Data Centre Fabric help enable customers to take advantage of the high-performance connectivity they're accustomed to, while protecting existing infrastructure investments."
Cisco continues to tightly integrate unified computing, unified fabric and unified network services into the holistic Cisco Data Centre Fabric, designed to be simple, scalable and secure, delivering any application across any location, within the data centre, across data centres, or to the cloud.
Cisco Unified Fabric delivers network management convergence and "wire once" agility from the server to the storage array for physical and virtualised environments. Emulex connectivity solutions are supported across the following enhanced technology innovations components of the Cisco Data Centre Fabric, a tightly integrated, flexible, high-performance, highly secure, shared infrastructure:
* OneConnect UCNA support for Cisco Nexus 7000 – Emulex OneConnect. UCNAs support Cisco Nexus 7000 Series, Cisco's flagship Ethernet Storage Director that now provides fibre channel over Ethernet (FCoE) support for the first time. Emulex OneConnect adapters offer multiprotocol support and hardware offload, which removes the overhead from the CPU and helps enable more virtual machines (VMs) per server.
* OneConnect UCNA and LightPulse 8Gbps HBA support for Cisco Nexus 5500 – Emulex provides comprehensive support for the enhanced Cisco Nexus 5500 fixed switches, enabling flexibility for customers to leverage their existing SAN connectivity investments, and utilise Emulex OneConnect UCNAs for protocol-agnostic connectivity.
With Unified Ports, a multiprotocol universal port design, customers now have the flexibility to use either an HBA or UCNA adapter to meet their ever-changing data centre needs.
* Support for Adapter FEX and VM FEX within Cisco Nexus 5548UP and 5596UP Switches – Emulex also plans to support the new AdapterFEX and VM FEX functionality across the new Cisco Nexus 5548UP and 5596UP Switches. AdapterFEX helps enable partitioning of a physical server NIC into multiple logical NICs, while VM FEX offers these capabilities to virtual machines.
* OneConnect UCNA support for enhanced Cisco MDS 9000 switches – Emulex UCNAs support the new MDS 9000 Series Multilayer Switches. FCoE Module, which offers increased bandwidth and seamless interoperability with the Nexus platform, while bridging Converged Networks to FC SANs.
* Broad management support across Cisco Nexus and MDS switches – Emulex OneCommand Management Framework help enable IT managers to manage their adapters across any platform. Leveraging open APIs, the Emulex OneCommand Management Framework supports the new converged management solution from Cisco, for a "single pane of glass" view into data centre connectivity.
"Cisco, together with our technology partners, are arming customers with a powerful, flexible, cloud-ready infrastructure enabling the next-generation data centre," says Jackie Ross, VP of marketing, Server Access and Virtualisation Technology Group for Cisco.
"Emulex's comprehensive portfolio of adapters are the multiprotocol 'glue' connecting servers to the network and the network to storage arrays."
Emulex OneConnect UCNAs provide optimised 10GbE network performance with Emulex vEngine technology. Emulex vEngine technology offers full hardware protocol offload support for Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), iSCSI and FCoE and optimises virtualised servers with support for virtual queues, multiple NIC PCI functions and emerging Single Root I/O Virtualisation (SR-IOV) standards.
This results in 20% more virtual machines (VMs) per server to optimise infrastructure investment.
Emulex LightPulse 8Gbps Fibre Channel HBAs offer the throughput, scalability, and reliability necessary for I/O intensive applications and high-density virtual server environments.
Emulex LightPulse HBAs offer common drivers and virtual HBA technology based on industry-standard N-Port ID Virtualisation (NPIV), which provides VMs with independent access to the SAN through shared HBA resources, enabling customers to leverage critical SAN management tools and best practices within virtualised server environments.
"This announcement comes after a culmination of three years of innovation and we are proud to be associated with the Emulex brand. The Emulex LightPulse and OneConnect families of storage and network adapters are available from Drive Control Corporation, offering wide interoperability and management support," says Rajen Naicker, storage product specialist at DCC.