IT security and data protection company, Sophos, has announced the availability of a number of new and enhanced enterprise products.
The company’s new offering, Sophos Mobile Control, extends lightweight device protection to a broad range of popular mobile platforms, including Apple iPhones and iPads, Google Android as well as Windows Mobile devices.
The product is designed for IT administrators to simply and quickly secure, monitor and control the configuration for smartphones running these operating systems.
Sophos Mobile Control Web-based console:
* Secures mobile devices by centrally configuring security settings, enabling lockdown of unwanted features and remote over-the-air lock or wipe if device is lost or stolen.
* Enables consistent security policy enforcement, strong password policy and lock period, control and installation of applications, blocking use of cameras, browsers and sites such as YouTube.
* Eliminates administrative burden with a self-service portal that allows end-users to register new devices and lock or wipe lost or stolen phones.
* Controls the access to corporate e-mail via a secure gate, allowing only properly secured and registered devices to access e-mail.
“iPads, smartphones and laptops are everywhere and connected to the Web at all times. Mobile technology, while improving productive, also opens up a new can of worms for IT teams as they must ensure that the data on those devices – especially the non-company-issue ones – are encrypted at all times no matter where the end-user is,” says Brett Myroff, CEO of regional Sophos distributor, Sophos South Africa.
"Sophos Mobile Control quickly and efficiently protects data on all iOS and Android mobile devices, giving those IT departments peace of mind that their end-users’ devices are fully protected."
The announcement also includes Sophos SafeGuard Enterprise 5.60 (SGN), which provides multi-layered, centrally managed endpoint data security and combines encryption and data loss prevention (DLP) on laptops, desktops and removable media.
Transparent data encryption enhances user productivity while preventing malicious users from reading lost or stolen information or media. SGN prevents endpoint data leakage by controlling access to both physical and wireless interfaces (such as USB, FireWire and WiFi) and storage devices (like MP3 players and removable media).
The latest enhancements to Sophos SafeGuard Enterprise (5.60):
* Enables faster initial encryption with optimisations by providing up to 30% higher read/write throughput on solid state drives compared to the previous version.
* Supports Opal self encrypted hard drives managed by the SGN Management Console.
* Reduces performance overhead with multiple CPU processors running in parallel to minimise performance overhead of encryption and decryption.
* Simplifies administration tasks, enabling them to be easily completed without user interaction and/or the management center application being opened. It also includes active directory synchronisation, automatic event log, deletion and enables scheduling of custom scripts for reoccurring tasks.
A number of enhancements to the latest version of Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection further provide increased performance and protection features, keeping users and the network secure, and data safe.
Sophos Endpoint Security and Data Protection 9.7 delivers advanced labs intelligence via a single agent that accelerates protection against zero-day and Web-based threats. Real-time feedback to security and application policy settings is provided via the cloud using Sophos Live Protection technologies.
“This simplifies the rollout of proactive protection for employees inside and outside the office, allowing them to get the protection they need against fast-moving threats such as hijacked Websites and targeted malware attacks – without adding additional IT security management overhead,” says Myroff.
The latest upgrade to Sophos ESDP 9.7 also includes encryption, data loss prevention, network access control, device control as well as application control, management and reporting. It also provides automatic location-aware intelligent updating for mobile workers – regardless of where they are with no need for configuration. Updates are delivered up to 41% faster.
“IT administrators are looking for complete yet uncomplicated security and data protection that just works no matter where the user is or what device is being used. Sophos is focused on developing a broad range of advanced, comprehensive endpoint security and data protection solutions designed and optimised for today’s tech savvy, diverse and nomadic workforce and rapidly evolving IT environments,” Myroff concludes.