Citrix Systems has announced it has closed its acquisition of Kaviza, makers of the market-leading all-in-one “VDI-in-a-Box” solution for small and medium business.
The acquisition adds a unique VDI-only solution to the Citrix portfolio – allowing the company to further expand into the small and medium business market and accelerate its leadership in desktop virtualisation across all market segments, from small organisations to large enterprises.
The Kaviza VDI-in-a-Box product complements the market-leading Citrix XenDesktop product line for enterprise-class desktop virtualisation.
SMB organisations are adopting desktop virtualisation at an accelerating rate in order to reduce desktop management costs, improve security and increase business agility. In fact, Gartner research shows that hosted virtual desktops have become the number two driver of new server purchases in SMBs across both North America and EMEA, and number four in Asia Pacific.
However, many small to medium businesses that are constantly under pressure to do more with less have been hesitant to adopt VDI in the past, given the relative cost and complexity of deploying enterprise-class products in an SMB environment.
Unlike other VDI products targeted at SMBs, Kaviza VDI-in-a-Box is not just a scaled-down enterprise product with limited functionality, performance and manageability. Instead, Kaviza offers a highly innovative solution designed from the ground up to give SMB customers brilliantly simple, low-cost, “all-in-one” VDI solution purpose-built for their needs.
Kaviza VDI-in-a-Box gives SMB customers everything they need to “go virtual” with VDI in a single, easy-to-deploy software virtual appliance. This “all-in-one” solution simplifies VDI adoption for SMB customers with an innovative design that requires:
* No separate connection brokers.
* No load balancers.
* No provisioning servers.
* No expensive shared network storage.
* Installs quickly and is easy to manage – a single all-in-one virtual appliance enables the full production deployment of virtual desktops in two hours or less. Additional servers can be deployed and connected to the grid in minutes. A simple administrator interface makes moves, adds and changes simple.
* Delivers a high-definition user experience with HDX – Citrix HDX technology delivers high performance and complete virtual desktop capabilities to any device, or any network, while minimising bandwidth requirements.
* Utilises simple, cost-effective infrastructure to provide a high return on investment – the grid architecture delivers a highly available solution with fewer servers than traditional VDI solutions, and no shared storage or management servers.
* Provides flexibility and choice – the open architecture provides multi-hypervisor support for Citrix XenServer and VMware ESX, with Microsoft Hyper-V support coming soon.