Kingston Technology Company, the independent world leader in memory products, has announced at Computex 2011 that it has teamed up with SandForce, a leader in high-performance SSD (solid state drive) processors to launch its first SATA 6Gbps based SSD range, which is targeted at enthusiasts, gamers and performance users.
The Kingston HyperX SSD features the latest and most reliable SandForce controller to date, and is also available as a bundle with the HyperX Upgrade Kit for easy installation and creation of a HyperX themed PC.
Shipping in 120Gb and 240Gb capacities, the HyperX SSDs are based on SandForce SF-2281 controllers featuring SATA Rev 3.0 (6Gbps).
The HyperX SSD allows for incredible sequential read/write speeds of 525/480Mbps, 4Kb random read/write, I/O operations per second (IOPS) of 40,000/60,000 (240Gb) and SandForce DuraClass Technology to provide best in class endurance.
“This launch is very exciting for us at Kingston. The SandForce controller allows us to deliver the high-end performance that is needed for power-users, gamers and enthusiasts,” says Grant Rau, business development manager, Kingston Technology South Africa.
“Integrating a final production quality controller and firmware and undergoing extensive testing has been an exacting process, but has been well worth the wait. With the Kingston Hyper X SSD we have built an SSD that meets the requirements set by true enthusiasts.”
Enthusiasts have long known the Kingston HyperX brand as the industry leader in cutting edge memory. The new HyperX SSD continues this tradition of innovation and high performance by pairing the latest SandForce controller Intel 25nm compute NAND (P/E 5K), to provide the performance and endurance that the most demanding users require.
Key features of the Kingston HyperX SSD include:
* Intel 25nm Compute NAND (P/E 5K) – 5K compute NAND provides significant endurance increase over a standard 3K cycle NAND.
* Advanced wear-leveling technology – an advanced algorithm ensures individual flash memory blocks are consumed at a very balanced rate, enabling maximum endurance while maintaining optimal performance.
* User configurable over provisioning – the HyperX SSD allows for user configurable over provisioning, which enables the user to tweak the SSD’s performance according to their specific performance needs. The user can increase the size of the over provisioned spare area, consequently reducing the overall capacity of the drive while increasing its speed and performance.
* TRIM and S.M.A.R.T support – with additional support for both TRIM and S.M.A.R.T., the HyperX SSD is equipped with all essential tools enthusiasts, heavy users and gamers need to make the most of their PC’s performance and drive endurance.
* DuraClass Technology – DuraClass Technology represents a set of NAND Flash management features that work in tandem to deliver world-class SSD reliability, performance and power efficiency that differentiate SandForce SSD Processors from other Flash controllers.
The HyperX Upgrade Kit Includes:
* Acronis True Image HD migration software.
* HyperX 2.5" desktop mounting plate.
* HyperX USB external drive bay.
* HyperX multi-head screwdriver.
* HyperX SATA data cable.
The Kingston HyperX SSDs are backed by a three-year warranty, 24/7 tech support and proven Kingston reliability. It will start shipping mid-July, 2011.