EMC Corporation has introduced the new EMC Symmetrix VMAXe storage system, innovative storage technology designed for virtualised cloud and mission-critical IT environments. The VMAXe system enables more IT organisations, both domestically and in rapidly expanding markets such as India, China, Eastern Europe and others, to accelerate their journey to cloud computing.
The Symmetrix VMAXe has the same industry-leading Virtual Matrix Architecture and innovative software as larger Symmetrix VMAX systems used in the world’s largest data centres. Designed for organisations with limited storage expertise and IT resources, it features a new hardware design for a smaller footprint and built-in software for fast installation, configuration and management.
According to Inana Nkanza, country manager of EMC Southern Africa, the rapid adoption of cloud computing around the world is creating exponential data growth that many organisations are struggling to manage with limited staff, space and budgets.
“The Symmetrix VMAXe addresses these challenges with the most sophisticated levels of storage automation, simplified management and provisioning, scalable performance, local and remote replication and the ability to simultaneously support thousands of virtual machines from VMware and others,” he says.
Symmetrix VMAXe highlights include:
* New hardware design – Symmetrix VMAXe combines the Virtual Matrix Architecture, which delivers data centre-class availability, with a new Intel multi-core processor-based Engine design, dense packaging and single-phase power.
It can scale up to four engines and up to 960 of the latest disk and flash drives. It supports leading high-end software capabilities, including FAST VP (fully automated storage tiering with virtual pools) and EMC TimeFinder local replication software.
* Provisions in minutes – Symmetrix VMAXe can be configured in minutes with built-in EMC Virtual Provisioning that simplifies management and improves utilisation by enabling storage to be allocated as needed.
* Unmatched replication – the Symmetrix VMAXe system’s built-in integration with EMC RecoverPoint replication software enables continuous data protection (CDP) and continuous local and remote replication (CLR and CRR) between a VMAXe and other EMC and non-EMC storage arrays for disaster recovery, migrations and any-point-in-time recovery of data.
* Simplified management – Symmetrix VMAXe provides leading software to simplify the management of virtual computing environments. This includes EMC Symmetrix Management Console and Performance Analyser, with an easy-to-navigate Web GUI and real-time dashboard views and EMC PowerPath SE automated path failover software for maximum availability as well as several others.
* Now available worldwide – EMC is making high-end storage capabilities available through more channels around the world than ever before. The Symmetrix VMAXe can be purchased from EMC Velocity Channel partners or direct from EMC immediately.
“Cloud computing and virtualisation are transforming businesses and creating new opportunities for Wipro throughout India, Middle East and Africa," says Vikas Srivastava, VP and business unit head, Infrastructure Technology Solutions, Wipro Infotech.
"The Symmetrix VMAXe enables us to now quickly and easily deploy and configure the most advanced virtual data centre storage capabilities in the world to support our enterprise customers.”
“The adoption of cloud computing is happening at a rapid pace throughout China and this is driving large data growth," says Lin Yang, CEO, executive director, Digital China Holdings.
"The Symmetrix VMAXe is designed specifically to efficiently manage this information with the most sophisticated and proven storage software available. Customers can customise the system to meet their needs and have it grow and scale as their data and IT requirements do.”
“COMback is one of the largest providers of disaster recovery services in Germany and offers a wide range of services to customers of all sizes who put their trust in us," says Achim Issmer, CEO, COMback.
"Symmetrix VMAXe is a system we can put our trust in as an important part of our infrastructure. Its built-in RecoverPoint integration makes it an ideal solution for our environment, enabling customers to continuously protect their data by replicating it to our highly secure facility no matter what storage they are using at their facilities.”
“As one of the largest electric power companies in the US, we use advanced technology to help customers manage their energy consumption. This creates tremendous amounts of data," comments Hermie Cloete, systems architect, Duke Energy.
"The Symmetrix VMAXe provides us the flexibility to extend high-end capabilities into our lower-tier service level offerings as we look to expand our virtualisation and private cloud infrastructure.”
“With every customer engagement, we are working to help our customers in a wide variety of industries improve their businesses by removing cost, complexity and barriers to change across their IT infrastructures," says Matthew Yeager, practice leader, data storage and protection, Computacenter.
"The Symmetrix VMAXe is a storage platform that can help us achieve those objectives with customers of all sizes and in markets throughout Europe.”
“The Symmetrix VMAXe is a compelling expansion of EMC’s portfolio and meets the requirements of a new breed of customer, especially those in new and emerging markets around the world whose storage environment grew bigger than they ever thought it would," says Terri McClure, Senior Analyst, ESG.
"EMC is meeting changing market conditions and requirements by making high-end storage capabilities, previously only available to larger data centres, available to everyone.”
“The success and customer adoption of the Symmetrix VMAX platform and FAST technology over the past year has been phenomenal and is reflected in large market share gains," adds Brian Gallagher, president, enterprise storage division, EMC.
"During that time, we heard from many customers, especially those in international markets, that need scalable performance, automated tiering and other high-end capabilities at a level that was right for them.
"The Symmetrix VMAXe was purpose-built to meet the space, cost and management needs of these customers, many of them service providers, who have large, data-intensive virtual environments and who can now easily realise the benefits of the most powerful, trusted and smart storage technology available.”