4 YEAR FIXED TERM CONTRACT
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
The purpose of this job is to find the best solutions to achieve good long-term development for the identified District. The SDP will co-ordinate the work of local and other spheres of government in a coherent plan to improve the quality of life for all the people living in the identified district. These would include existing conditions, problems and resources available for development. The solution/s must look at economic and social development for the entire district as a whole; i.e. how land should be used, what infrastructure and services are needed and how the environment should be protected. This will contribute to the development and execution of the ‘one plan’.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree/NQF 7 in Town and Regional Planning or Urban Development Studies
- Registered with SACPLAN as a professional Town and Regional Planner.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience as a Development Planner.
- Extensive work experience-across multiple areas of government (approximately 5 -8 years) (Past experience operating at a senior specialist level)
- Fully computer literate with sound knowledge of MS office.
- Demonstrated ability to interact confidently with diverse stakeholders and clients.
- Masters degree in Town and Regional Planning
- Assist in formulating and implementing the District’s ‘one plan’ by:
- Co-ordinating the work of local and other spheres of government in a coherent plan to improve the quality of life for all the people living in the identified district. These would include existing conditions, problems and resources available for development.
- Meeting with municipalities, public officials and the public regarding development plans and land use.
- Identifying the best way to meet District needs in terms of infrastructure and handling growth. Oversees all aspects of planning, including reviewing research on economic and environmental impacts.
- Working with developers and with other communities on the best way to turn proposals into reality.
- Providing solution/s looking at economic and social development for the entire district as a whole; i.e. how land should be used, what infrastructure and services are needed and how the environment should be protected.
- Providing development direction and integration with the ‘one plan’ and associated strategies and sector plans.
- Formulating and implement frameworks, policies, precinct plans and development strategies of high complexity and initiate development projects and programmes for the district.
- Oversee and supervise the running of all development / town planning projects for the district as per the ‘one plan’.
- Manage and provide input into development processes, projects and programmes between all relevant stakeholders.
- Co-ordinate the planning, development and management of infrastructure and ensure alignment with the ‘one plan’ and associated strategies.
- Facilitate development processes and projects for implementation.
- Advise DDM on statutory and planning requirements in infrastructure planning delivery.
- Apply sound knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal land use planning to develop creative and original planning solutions.
- Establish and maintain good working relationships with relevant stakeholders.
- Research and design planning policies to guide and inform strategic development.
- Use information technology systems such as CAD (computer-aided design) or Geographical Information Systems (GIS).
- Stay relevant with legislation associated with land use and land use planning.
- Prepares reports; maintains records and recommend appropriate actions or additional conditions to be imposed concerning planning, development and management of land use schemes.
- Any development planning duties as assigned.
COMPETENCIES – BEHAVIOURAL
- Customer Service Orientation
- Self-Awareness and Self Control
- Strategic and Innovative Thinking
- Driving Delivery of Results
- Teamwork and Cooperation
COMPETENCIES – TECHNICAL
- Strategic Planning.
- Project Management
- Solutions Focused
- Business Acumen
- Planning and Organising
- Detailed Oriented
- Reporting & Communication
- Presentation Skills
- Strategic Planning
- Project Management
Desired Work Experience:
- 5 to 10 years
Desired Qualification Level: