A Lay Counsellor: Project PrEP (Fixed Term Contract) vacancy is available at our Client, Wits Health Consortium’s Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (RHI) in Motherwell, Port Elizabeth – Eastern Cape.
The Wits Reproductive Health and HIV Institute (Wits RHI) is a renowned African-led research institute that seeks solutions to Africa’s health challenges.
It is located within the University of the Witwatersrand and addresses some of the greatest public health concerns affecting our region, including HIV and its related problems, sexual and reproductive health and vaccinology. This is done through pioneering, multi-disciplinary research; responsive technical support and innovation in health services; and evidence-based policy development and advocacy with national, regional and global stakeholders.
Main purpose of the job
- This position requires experience in HIV counseling, testing, tracking and tracing of clients; basic knowledge of HIV and counseling, ability to conduct rapid HIV testing and interpret test results, as well as matric with HIV testing and counseling certificate
- The Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) for Adolescent Girls and Young Women (AGYW) project requires the services of 1 lay counselor that will be responsible for providing all HIV counseling and testing for AGYW
- The candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day testing within a cluster’s mobile clinic van to relieve the current staff
- Also, the candidate will be responsible for linking the clients with relevant comprehensive sexual and reproductive services, HIV treatment and care
- The candidate should be able to conduct finger-prick HIV testing, interpretation of results and ensuring that clients remain in care
- Motherwell, Port Elizabeth
Key performance areas
- Engagement with AGYW to build trust and rapport
- Ability to assess the risk of possible infection
- Give the client sufficient information to make an informed decision about whether or not to test
- Assist the client to understand the test and what the results mean
- Helping the person explore the implications of HIV
- Testing (options)
- Ability to provide PrEP information
- Provide a report of a number of clients counseled and opted for the test
- Conduct risk reduction counseling
- Maintain the quality of test kits
- Provide HIV testing (finger prick)
- Keep the record confidential
- Obtain informed consent for all clients
- Together with the professional nurse, order test kits according to the DOH recommendations and keep a record of stock in, stock-out
Required minimum education and training
- Basic HIV Counselling and Testing training certificate (10 days) from a recognized training institution
- Rapid testing continuous quality improvement (RTCQI) trained (3 days)
- Proficiency in local language and English
Desirable additional education, work experience and personal abilities
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to navigate complex situations
- Ability to maintain confidentiality
- People orientated
- Basic Knowledge of HIV/AIDS
- Strong work ethics
- A demonstrated understanding on how to pre-counsel, conduct finger prick, interpret results, and post-test counsel, screen, assess, and refer clients for HIV, STI and TB for care
- Good understanding of PrEP, FP, Pregnancy and ART services
Required minimum work experience
- Minimum 2 years experience working within or supporting the public health sector
- 1-Year experience in rapid HIV testing and counseling
- Experience and or understanding of HIV self-screening
- Experience working with Adolescents, or on Adolescent health-focused projects
- Experience working in the community and providing quality HIV testing services at community level
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experienceas mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV – Please Apply Online
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications is 25 March 2021.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- In accordance with our Employment Equity goals and plan, preference will be given to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
Please note that AJ PERSONNEL is only responsible for the advertising of the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.