JOB GRADE: C4
Ref. Number: DY21/3/04
The Armscor Dockyard SHEQ Division has a vacancy for a Safety Officer. Applications are invited from people meeting the qualifications and experience requirements set out below.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide an effective coordinating service to ensure a healthy and safe operational working environment within Armscor Dockyard. To ensure implementation of Safety Health and Environment (SHE) Procedure, Polices, Legislation and best practices and provide a specialised SHE advisory service to all divisions within the organisation in order to ensure all line managers, supervisors and employees are aware of the SHE legal and organisational requirements and are in a position to select the appropriate actions to ensure compliance.
CRITICAL PERFORMANCE OBJECTIVES
- Execute inspection, reporting on non- conformances and compliance where SHE standards have been met.
- Exercise regular emergency response and drills in accordance with the emergency preparedness program.
- Effective Safety Health and Environment (SHE) communication to employees, customers, contractor and relevant stakeholders.
- Ensure that the SHE incidents are recorded, discussed and recommended corrective actions are implemented.
- Ensure that requirements of the SHE legislation are met.
- Verify that the purpose of the Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S) meeting is fulfilled.
- Verify that the needs of the OH&S representatives are met.
- Assist Supervisors and Line Managers to maintain hazard identification and risk assessment registers to ensure risk control are appropriate and implemented.
- Assist Supervisors and Line Managers to maintain their SHE manuals.
- Assist Managers and Supervisors to maintain their Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS)
- Assist with the SHE aspects with regards to operational requirements and ensure that employees commit to the Dockyard’s health and safety.
- Provide induction training to all new and existing employees.
- Conduct SHE awareness training.
- Arrange pre-audit discussions with Line Manager and assist with audit.
- Verify that the open items on non-compliances are closed by confirming corrective actions.
- Coordinate Health and Safety awareness campaigns to confirm that employees are informed on Safety issues.
- Follow up corrective actions to confirm that the appropriate actions have been implemented.
- Grade 12
- National Diploma: Health and Safety
- Safety Management Training Course (SAMTRAC)
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in Manufacturing and or Engineering environment
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in Health, Safety and Environmental risk management
- Computer literacy
- Knowledge of the relevant Policies, Procedures and Practices
- Knowledge of Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations
- Knowledge of the relevant legislation applicable to the environment
Closing date: 30 March 2021
- Late applications will not be considered, and correspondence is limited to short-listed candidates.
- Short-listed candidates will be subject to psychometric assessment, reference checking, verification of personal data, and security clearance as part of the selection process.
In line with Armscor’s commitment to complying with the Employment Equity Act, No 55 of 1998, preference will be given to suitable candidates from the designated groups. People with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Communication Skills(verbal and written)
- Leadership Skills
- Problem Solving