REPORTS TO MARKETING & COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
The Corporate Communications Officer makes a key contribution to a vibrant team of communications professionals, supporting the implementation of a dynamic Brand Communications Strategy. The role requires effective all round communication skills, the flexibility to tackle any number of communications challenges and the kind of positive attitude which supports change and delivers results.
To promote, project and protect the organization’s reputation with all stakeholders through expert marketing and communication planning and delivery.
Key Performance Areas
- To optimise positive coverage of the organization in the mass media
- To work with the Marketing & Communications Manager and the Deputy Manager in developing and implementing a media relations strategy which promotes the good reputation amongst local, national and international stakeholders, through the mass media
- To develop media relations plans to support specific departmental projects and priorities and ensure their expert and timeous delivery
- To provide a media relations service to external agencies in order to promote the organization’s best interests
- To organise events and exhibitions in order to promote the organization
- To be aware of reputational risks and accelerate concerns to the Marketing & Communication Manager appropriately
- To write media statements, media alerts, guest articles and briefing notes on a weekly basis
- To conduct and facilitate media interviews in accordance with the approved Media Relations Policy
- To carry out instructions as delegated by the Marketing and Communications Manager and the Deputy Manager.
- To maximise positive public marketing of the organization among stakeholder groups
- To identify relevant stakeholder publics
- To represent the organization at approved public events and to deliver approved presentations
- To identify appropriate stakeholder events for exhibition purposes, produce and implement a Stakeholder Exhibition Plan
- To initiate opportunities in order to promote and enhance the organization’s reputation
- To protect and support the brand image by offering advice and direction on the appropriate use of brand identity for print and other media
- To host appropriate events, including media briefings
- Corporate Writing
- To write and facilitate the editorial and approval processes for the production of speeches, media statements, contact and other reports, guest articles and other regular written products
- To take charge for updating the Website and Intranet
- To produce an electronic and / or print newsletter
- Internal Communications
- Plan, compile, produce and distribute a monthly Internal Newsletter timeously, ensuring a high standard of editorial and photographic content
- Execute all internal communication to ensure that the organization is regularly and timeously updated on relevant industry and national matters
- Plan, co-ordinate, arrange, execute and event-manage all matters relating to the Motlana Forum or any other internal staff forum, including co-ordination of relevant training requirements for staff
- Co-ordinate, manage and update intranet content and ensure its accuracy, relevance and appeal
- Provide effective event-management support, including compeering at internal events
- Support Human Resources in planning, defining and implementing an effective Corporate Culture programme, including Change Management support
- Creative DesignCo-ordinate, brief and execute the design of various creative outputs, including but not limited to the Newsletters, invitations, adverts, memoranda and presentations for both internal and external purposes.
- ResearchConduct qualitative and quantitative research on various topics as might be necessary to contribute to speeches, presentations, briefing notes, media statements, guest articles, publications etc.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Creative and critical aptitude
- Ability to convey complex messages clearly and through written and verbal communication
- Ability to influence and educate as well as direct other staff and various audiences on communication issues
- Demonstrate a good understanding of reputation management and a pro-active approach to reputational risk
- Flexibility and willingness to work as part of a team, maintaining good working relationships with staff at all levels
- Ability to identify reputational risk and accelerate recovery plans
Qualifications & Experience:
- Diploma or Degree in Marketing, Communications or Journalism
- At least three years’ experience in handling media enquiries especially in a Government environment (non-negotiable)
- Experience in using communication skills across the marketing and communication disciplines
- Creative design, layout, typesetting etc.
If you meet the above-mentioned inherent job requirements and are a South African citizen, please apply by sending your detailed CV.
Applicants who meet the inherent requirements will be communicated with.
- Public Relations
- Media Relations
- Corporate Writing
- Creative design
- media queries
- Brand Communications Strategy
Desired Work Experience:
- 2 to 5 years
Desired Qualification Level:
Employer & Job Benefits:
- Medical Aid
- Pension Fund