MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
As the South African SKA Science Regional Centre Lead, you will lead the development of the South African Science Regional Centre (SRC) from concept to an operational facility that meets national and international requirements pertaining to the SKA telescope and respective science. You will also be part of the International SRC Steering Committee and represent the South African interests in this group
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS:
- Masters Degree in Applied Science or Nuclear Physics or similar quaification
- A degree or higher in Engineering, Computer Science, or related applied sciences.
- A Masters degree in applied sciences, engineering, management, or related inter-disciplinary areas.
- Knowledge of portfolio, program and project management practices
- Knowledge of systems engineering practices
- Knowledge of operations management and related practices
- Knowledge of innovation management and related disciplines,e.g. intellectual property (IP) management.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- At least 10 years experience in the implementation of complex distribute high performance computing systems, from hardware, platform, software and service perspectives.
- In addition, at least 5 years experience in developing and managing IT systems development teams
- Experience in developing computing systems for scientific use.
- Experience managing internal and external stakeholders within a program context.
Desirable additional Work Experience
- Knowledge of IT facility development, management and operations
- Experience leading and participating in global scale projects and collaborations in R&D, Human Capital Development, technology and scientific facility development.
- Fully conversant with latest trends in high performance hardware and software architecture and design, with deep expertise in these areas
- Experience in research environment
- Experience in system engineering-driven environment
- Proven track record of project delivery
- Significant technical experience in architecture design and development of large software projects
- Strong ability to lead and motivate technical personnel
- Must have skill and personality to compete strongly on global basis in the scientific computing arena
- Strong presentation and idea transfer skills
Please note that if you have not received a response within 14 days of submitting your application that your application was unsuccessful.
However, please keep a lookout on our website, [URL Removed] for available positions which may be inline with your career aspirations.