Our client , a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a Security Engineer to join their Engineering team in Cape Town.
The client is a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hardworking people to join them. The company market related benefits, a great work environment and a promise that you wont be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
This position reports to the Software Engineering Team Lead (DevOps)
Security Engineers are responsible for securing building and operating security controls, and building out a security platform to support the online business.
The security engineers work closely with the platform and development teams to build a strong defence, as well as enable and support a culture of DevSecOps in the development teams.
The company is growing quickly, which brings a number of unique and interesting challenges. Security is growing rapidly in the organization and there is a lot of opportunity to shape the tools, technologies, and culture of security in the company.
Your daily work will involve:
- Architecting and implementing technical solutions to support defensive security
- Mentoring and coaching security within the organization
- Deploying, operating, and monitoring SIEM, IPS/IDS
- Responding to Security Incidents
- Expanding security auditing and monitoring capabilities
- Developing custom applications to monitor red flag situations
- Working with DevOps to secure the platform, hardening servers, networks, Kubernetes
- Working with Application teams to secure code, consulting on implementations
- Working with Infrastructure to secure the physical environments (office networks, etc)
- Hardening servers, and building security into the platform
- Developing automation so we can focus on the hard problems
- Developing glue code to extend or integrate systems
To achieve this, were looking for someone that:
- Is passionate about technology and security
- Is curious, always learning, and keeping up to date with the industry
- Is a team player, an active listener, mentor, and able to communicate well
- Shows solid reasoning and decision making, with the ability to work under pressure
- Has either a degree in computer science, or industry experience
- Has experience with defensive systems (SIEM, IDS/IPS, Canaries, Fail2Ban, etc)
- Has a solid understanding of Networking (TCP, UDP, IP, nmap, wireshark, etc)
- Has experience with Linux administration (Processes, Networking, Disks, Security)
- Has experience with a configuration management system (Puppet, Chef, Ansible)
Top candidates will be strong in the above, but also bring some of the following to the table:
- Can write code (we use Python)
- Experience with Kafka, Apache Beam, Apache Metron, Apache Spark
- Experience with Google Cloud, or another cloud provider
- Experience with Kubernetes, Docker (or containers in general)
- Experience with Build Systems (Jenkins, Gitlab, Spinnaker)
- Employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of the company being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions, and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to Employ an people who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerceand delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under changeand accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts
- thinks like an ownerof the business.
- Is smart, has integrity and is hardworking.
- Our client is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference
- While we would really like to respond to every application, should you not be contacted for this position within 15 days please consider your application as unsuccessful.
- In keeping with our clients employment equity requirements, only South African citizens will be considered.
- Please include your current salary and salary expectations.