Spring is here and, in the spirit of both spring cleaning and giving, Uber has teamed with forgood to people donate clothing, electronics, appliances and non-perishable foods in a quick and convenient fashion.
Forgood is an online platform that connects people who want to do good, to the organisations that need their help. They assist in connecting both volunteers and donors with causes that best fit the good deed.
#uberforgood means people can now donate their unwanted items from their doorstep.
Uber offers the following steps to use the #uberforgood service:
* Bag up spring cleaned clothing, household items and appliances, electronics and non-perishable foods for people or animals.
* Signup if not yet an Uber user.
* Open the Uber app on Tuesday 8 September between 10:00 and 16:00.
* Select the “forgood” vehicle view at the bottom of the screen.
* UberVANs in Johannesburg, UberXLs in Cape Town and uberXs in Durban will arrive to pick up items and drop-off donations to the forgood depots free of charge.
#uberforgood is not limited to individuals; corporates are encouraged to participate too.
Donors are asked to personally bring their donations to the Uber vehicles as the drivers are unable to leave these unattended. In order for drivers to accept donations, clothing must be bagged and all appliances, electronics and non-perishable foods must be placed in boxes; this helps when packing the vehicle properly.