Samsung Electronics is wooing consumers back into the fold with its new Galaxy S8 smartphone, featuring an Infinity Display for immersive viewing and launching with a range of services and apps.
“The Samsung Galaxy S8 ushers in a new era of smartphone design and fantastic new services, opening up new ways to experience the world,” says DJ Koh, president of mobile communications business at Samsung
The new device is available in 5,8-inch Galaxy S8 and 6,2-inch Galaxy S8+. The Infinity Display and bezel-less design form a smooth, continuous surface with no buttons or harsh angles.
The Galaxy S8’s compact design enables one-handed operation while Corning Gorilla Glass 5 on both the front and back offer durability and a high-quality finish.
The smartphone is equipped with an advanced 8MP F1.7 Smart autofocus front camera and 12MP F1.7 Dual Pixel rear camera for low-light, zoom and anti-blur photos with enhanced image processing.
The Galaxy S8 features the industry’s first 10nm processor, so performance is enhanced, while it is also Gigabit LTE and Gigabit Wi-Fi ready with support for up to 1Gbps.
The Galaxy S8 is believed to be the world’s first mobile device certified by the UHD Alliance as Mobile HDR Premium, so users see the same colours and contrasts as they would on the big screen.
Security is taken care of with Samsung Knox, a defense-grade security platform. In addition, the Galaxy S8 will offer a wide selection of biometric technologies including a fingerprint scanner, iris scanner and facial recognition.
The Galaxy S8 comes with foundational Galaxy features including IP68 water and dust resistance, MicroSD support up to 256Gb, always-on display, and both Fast and wireless charging capabilities.
Samsung has also launched a new interface, Bixby.
With the Bixby button, you will be able to conveniently access Bixby and navigate through services and apps with simple voice, touch, vision and text commands.
At launch, Bixby’s Voice function will integrate with several Samsung native apps and features including Camera, Contacts, Gallery, Messages and Settings, with the plan to expand its capabilities to include more Samsung and third-party apps in the near future.
Contextual awareness capabilities enable Bixby to offer personalised help based on what it continues to learn about the user’s interests, situation and location.
Users can also shop, search for images and get details about nearby places with Bixby’s image recognition technology.
As the Bixby ecosystem grows, it will connect across devices, apps and services as a ubiquitous interface, and open up new experiences and scenarios to simplify life.
The Galaxy S8 offers a robust portfolio of products and services:
* It unlocks the new Gear VR with Controller, powered by Oculus, and also connects to the new Gear 360 to create 4K 360-degree videos and photos.
* Samsung DeX is a new solution that transforms a smartphone into a desktop by providing a secure desktop-like experience. With Samsung DeX, users can display and edit data from their phone, making working from a smartphone faster and smarter.
* As more IoT devices enter the market and the connected network becomes more complex, Samsung Connect simplifies smart device management. With Samsung Connect, users can activate IoT-enabled devices through a quick three-step configuration process and manage all connected devices through one integrated app.
* The Galaxy S8 also comes with the enhanced Samsung Health service, including personal coaching, social capabilities that redefine traditional health and fitness.
* With Samsung Pay, Galaxy S8 can be turned into a digital wallet.
* New high-performance earphones, tuned by AKG by Harman, come as an in-box accessory. Featuring a comfortable hybrid canal fit for better noise cancellation, they will be made from anti-tangle metal-fabric material.
The Galaxy S8 will be available starting on 5 May 2017 in colours that include Midnight Black, Orchid Gray and Maple Gold. More colours to be launched later in the year.