At VMworld 2017, VMware has announced new releases of VMware Integrated OpenStack and VMware vRealize Network Insight to help customers modernise their data centres to increase business and developer agility while introducing increased networking and security capabilities. In addition, VMware is unveiling a new VMware vSAN offering to accelerate the adoption of distributed IT by reducing the cost and complexity of expanding enterprise IT features beyond the data centre. The announcements include:
* VMware Integrated OpenStack 4 will be based on OpenStack Ocata and boost support for containerised applications.
* VMware vRealize Network Insight 3.5 to deliver increased monitoring and compliance capabilities for NSX.* New HCI Acceleration Kit to enable distributed IT with cost-effective hyperconverged infrastructure (HCI) systems powered by VMware vSAN.
* VMware to embrace big data and high-performance computing (HPC) workloads with new vSphere Scale-Out edition.Business and IT leaders are aligning on a core set of business outcomes as they experience the benefits of digital transformation.
VMware is helping customers achieve those outcomes with a portfolio spanning cloud, digital workspace, and security. The company’s strategy is to enable customers to run, manage, connect, and secure any application on any cloud to any device.”Companies are focused on digital transformation to deliver new customer experiences through applications and services,” says Rajiv Ramaswami, chief operating officer: products and cloud services at VMware. “VMware is helping its customers to modernize IT infrastructure and application services with the speed, security, and agility that enable them to drive transformation from the data center to the edge. “These new product releases and solutions will help support customer business innovation and growth while optimizing their total cost of ownership.”VMware Integrated OpenStack is an OpenStack distribution from VMware that complies with the OpenStack Foundation’s 2017.01 interoperability guidelines. It provides customers with the fastest and most efficient solution to deploy and operate OpenStack clouds on VMware’s software-defined data center (SDDC) infrastructure — typically without the need for professional services. VMware Integrated OpenStack 4 will support the latest OpenStack release — Ocata — enabling customers to take advantage of new performance and scalability enhancements to core compute and networking services as well as increased support for containers.VMware Integrated OpenStack 4 will introduce several new capabilities and integrations beyond those made available by the community. Additional new functionality will include:* Enhancements that enable enterprises to run containerised applications alongside traditional applications in production on OpenStack.* vRealize Automation integration to enable OpenStack users to use vRealize Automation-based policies and to consume OpenStack components within vRealize Automation blueprints.* Increased scale and isolation for OpenStack clouds enabled through new multi-VMware vCenter support.VMware is also announcing new pricing and packaging for VMware Integrated OpenStack, which was previously available at no cost to qualified customers. See additional details in the Pricing and Availability section.VMware vRealize Network Insight delivers intelligent operations for software-defined networking and security across virtual, physical, and multiple-clouds with micro-segmentation planning that can be scaled to thousands of VMs at a time with 360-degree visibility and VMware NSX operations. VMware vRealize Network Insight 3.5 will provide deeper visibility into the networking and security infrastructure enabling customers to easily monitor NSX deployments and help meet PCI (Payment Card Industry) compliance. Key new capabilities will include:
* The NSX Edge Health Dashboard and NSX Internet Protocol Flow Information Export (IPFIX) integration to enable NSX customers to safeguard health and access analytics for SDDC flows impacted by NSX firewall rules
* Support for Brocade MLX, Check Point Firewall and HPE OneView to provide customers with holistic visibility across their virtual and physical networking and security infrastructure
* The PCI compliance dashboard for NSX Distributed Firewall (DFW) will help customers in verticals such as financial, healthcare and government to build compliance for their NSX infrastructureThis latest release will build on significant capabilities delivered in vRealize Network Insight 3.4, which introduced support for micro-segmentation planning, troubleshooting, and application modeling using native Amazon Web Services (AWS) components.
Digitally-driven customers are increasingly in need of enterprise-class infrastructure at remote and branch sites to accelerate decision-making and deliver a level of IT independence to these important extensions of their business or operations. The distributed nature of vertical applications ranging from retail locations to oil rigs to tactical military installations is driving a need for flexible, cost-sensitive infrastructure that can be managed by IT generalists.The new VMware HCI Acceleration Kit brings affordable enterprise infrastructure with familiar, common management from the data center to distributed environments. Powered by the award-winning VMware vSAN software, the new offering delivers server economics to enterprise storage environments with a unique VMware vSphere®-native architecture that can be deployed on a broad choice of hardware platforms certified by VMware vSAN ReadyLabs.The solution includes VMware vSphere and VMware vSAN standard licenses. The software licenses support single-socket vSAN ReadyNodes, which are available from Dell, Fujitsu, Lenovo, NEC, and Supermicro today. The VMware HCI Acceleration Kit pricing starts at $7,852 per 3-node cluster and the software licenses allow unlimited virtual machines.The new HCI systems based on vSAN will help power edge analytics and enable on-prem deployments of the new VMware Pulse IoT Center for Internet of Things (IoT) use cases.