Sello Paul Malinga — inventor of the Spinetector Suit — has become the second finalist to leave Cell C’s reality show Hangman, leaving eight remaining contestants to battle it out for the R1-million first prize.
The remaining innovators and their inventions, are:
· Bonex Mwakikunga (aged 50 from Pretoria): Breath-Tech Sensor, a diabetes breathalyser.
· Chelsea Anne Hornby (aged 24 from Roodepoort): Elle reusable menstrual cup and female hygiene management.
· Christo Rossouw (aged 35 from Klerksdorp): Mosquito repellent lamp.
· Claire Reid (aged 31 from Parkview, Johannesburg): Reel Gardening, a pre-fertilised, pre- spaced colour-coded seed tape.
· Dean Fegen (aged 41 from Alberton): The Polyhammer which replaces the need for copper and rubber hammers in underground mining.
· Lebohang Motsoeneng (aged 28 from Naturena in Johannesburg): The I-waiter is an electronic button device that attracts the attention of a restaurant waiter via a fashionable vibrating watch.
· Rupert Taljaard (aged 45 from Yzerfontein, Western Cape): Halt Lock is a revolutionary anti-theft/anti hijacking device that prevents the driveshaft of the stolen vehicle from turning the wheels thus preventing its theft.
· Sean T Armstrong (aged 35 from Bedfordview): Uni Click is a safety syringe that improves the safety, accuracy and precision of medical dosing.
The Top 8 have to win the approval of the “Backers” (judges), captains of industry and investment, who are celebrity economist Iraj Abedian; self-made billionaire Quinton van der Burgh; Bonang Mohale, CEO of Business Leadership South Africa, and businesswoman and entrepreneur Connie Mashaba.
Sponsors Cell C say Hangman is much more than a TV show with a weekly broadcast. Viewers can enjoy 24/7 entertainment via a Cell C Reality app where they can truly immerse themselves in the show. They can play “The Exchange” and win great prizes; get to know the Backers and watch sneak peek behind-the-scenes footage. Viewers can also get involved in the show itself — if their service matches a contestants’ need, they stand a chance to be in front of cameras.
All customers that download the Cell C Reality App automatically receive 100 000 points which they can use to participate in the “The Exchange”. Points are allocated to play the game. Customers win a variety of prizes by playing the game, including a car, scooter, smartphones, data, cash and vouchers.