Red Hat is introducing an offering to help provide an open pathway to digital transformation.
Designed to help enterprises cut costs and speed innovation through cloud-native and container-based technologies, Red Hat infrastructure migration solution enables enterprises to break down closed technology silos centered on proprietary virtualisation.
The solution also provides an enterprise-ready pathway to cloud-native application development via Linux containers, Kubernetes, automation, and other open source technologies.
The Red Hat infrastructure migration solution is designed to help organisations accelerate transformation by more safely migrating and managing workloads to an open source infrastructure platform. A standard migration consists of three phases:
* Discovery Session: In this first phase, Red Hat Consulting will engage with an organization in a complementary Discovery Session to better understand and document the scope of the migration.
* Migration pilot: During this phase, an open source platform is deployed and operationalised using Red Hat’s hybrid cloud infrastructure and management tooling. Pilot migrations take place to demonstrate typical approaches, establish initial migration capability, and define the requirements for a larger scale migration.
* Migration at scale: In the third phase, IT teams are able to begin migrating workloads at scale. Red Hat Consulting also offers design and implementation assistance to help build and optimise full-production infrastructures, unify and better streamline operations across virtualisation pools, and navigate complex migration cases.
After the Discovery Session, recommendations are provided for a more flexible open source virtualisation platform based on Red Hat technologies, including:
* Red Hat Virtualization: Offering an open software-defined infrastructure and centralized management platform for virtualized Linux and Windows workloads, Red Hat Virtualization is designed to empower customers with greater efficiency for traditional workloads, while also creating a launchpad for cloud-native and container-based application innovation.
* Red Hat OpenStack Platform: Built on the enterprise-grade backbone of Red Hat Enterprise Linux, Red Hat OpenStack Platform helps users to build an on-premises cloud architecture that provides resource elasticity, scalability and increased efficiency.
* Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure: A portfolio of solutions, including Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure for Virtualization and Red Hat Hyperconverged Infrastructure for Cloud, for customers looking to consolidate compute, network and storage in a form-factor designed to provide greater operational and cost efficiency.
Using newly released migration capabilities based on Red Hat’s management technologies, including Red Hat Ansible Automation, new workloads can be delivered in an automated fashion with self-service.
In addition, these new capabilities enable IT to more quickly recreate these workloads across hybrid and multicloud environments.
Existing workloads are analyzed and migrated, in a controlled manner using enterprise-grade tooling, to better satisfy workload-specific business requirements.
The Red Hat infrastructure migration solution provides an on-ramp for organizations to adopt Linux containers and Kubernetes orchestration via Red Hat OpenShift Container Platform as their common hybrid cloud platform.
Offered standalone or as a component of Red Hat Cloud Suite, OpenShift helps to simplify the migration of existing applications to Linux containers, enabling organizations to benefit from cloud-native workloads without sacrificing existing IT investments.
Additionally, Red Hat is working on new innovations to help bridge the gap between virtual machines and containers.
Container-native virtualisation, based on the open source KubeVirt community project, enables developers to work with VMs in the same way that they would work with Linux container-based applications.