Job Advert Summary
The Data Scientist compliments a Health Information Systems team working in conjunction with the Provincial Department of Health on the Health Information System Strengthening (HISS) programme for HIV and TB. The Data Scientist will work with large and complex data sets, analyzing data elements and health indicators, cleaning data, and optimizing ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) processes. The position will facilitate the aims and objectives of the care and treatment programme in partnership with the provincial Department of Health.
This is a contract position based on funding.
• Minimum of a Masters (MSc) in mathematics, economics, epidemiology, information management or statistics
• Minimum of 7 years’ relevant work experience
• Strong knowledge of and experience with reporting packages (Power BI, Tableau, SQL server reporting services), databases (SQL etc.), programming
• Strong knowledge on database structure, data types and relationship types
• A proven track record of working with data, data analysis and data management
• Knowledge of statistics and experience using quantitative research methods and statistical packages for analyzing datasets (Excel, SPSS, SAS, STATA etc.)
• Strong analytical skills with the ability to collect, organize, analyze, and disseminate significant amounts of information with attention to detail and accuracy
Duties and Responsibilities
• Business Intelligenceo Build models to analyse data and offer new insightso Develop and deploy linkage algorithms (probabilistic and non-probabilistic) to match patient records across health facilities. Track patients through the continuum of careo Identify, analyse, and interpret trends and patterns embedded within data sets using statistical techniques, with an aim to increase health service efficiency
• Solution development and administrationo Develop and implement innovative data collection systems o Optimise strategies for data use and data quality. Locate and define new process improvement opportunitieso Improve systems linked to data pre-processing and analysiso Create a database from primary or secondary data sources
• Data analysis and reportingo Present information using data visualization techniqueso Work with management to prioritise DoH health information and analytic needso Manage a team of database administratorso Support the development and maintenance of a data warehouseo Optimize ETL (Extract, Transform and Load) processes