Job Advert Summary
The overall responsibility of the successful candidate will be performing specialised or complex scientific investigations or analytical tests, including development and optimization of new methodologies in the Organic Chemistry Laboratory.
• BSc (Hons) in Chemistry or B. Tech in Analytical Chemistry
• Professional institution membership.
• Four to five years analytical and research experience focusing on water Organic Chemistry research.
• Performed complex multi-method analysis (i.e. GC-MS, GC-ECD, GC-TOF-MS and HPLC)
Duties and Responsibilities
• Performing specialised analytical analysis on samples with a complex matrix.
• Undertaking complex scientific investigations to solve issues related to methods, instruments, results and customer queries.
• Compile and present scientific based reports and publications to customers and the scientific community.
• Performance and documentation of all quality control checks of specialised or complex analytical tests and the approval of results on the identified databases.
• Conducting the validation of methods and instruments in the Organic Chemistry Laboratory
• Technical training of staff members on methodologies and instruments used.
• Under supervision compile SHE based work instructions that are aligned to GLP practices and good housekeeping principles.
• Sound knowledge of the application of Organic Chemistry methodologies
• Knowledgeable in water chemistryIncluding emerging organic contaminants.
• Working knowledge of SANS 241 and other water quality guidelines
• Working knowledge and application of ISO 17025 as required in test laboratories)
• Working knowledge of the following analytical instruments: GC-FID, GC-ECD, GC-MS, GC-TOF-MS and HPLC.
• Knowledge and application of ISO 17025 as required in test laboratories and Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS)
• Knowledge of method validation and uncertainty of measurement in a testing laboratory.
• Skilled as well as knowledgeable in the application of water analytical methodologies and instrumental techniques.
• Working knowledge of statistics
• Computer literacy in Word Processing and Spreadsheet applications
• Skilled as well as knowledgeable in research methodology, research project planning and management.
• Effective written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to prioritise, organise and plan
• Self-motivated quality and output driven person who can handle pressure.
• Ability to interact with staff and customers.
• Team worker but can work independently.
• Conscientious and pays attention to detail.
• Willingness to work after hours, weekends and public holidays.