VACANCY: Senior Fibre Technician for Limpopo
Applications are invited for the above-mentioned position.
This person will report to the Site Manager.
PURPOSE OF THE ROLE: The Fibre Technician’s main duty will be to install and repair fibre optic cables.
Key Performance Areas would include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing and leading Installations, troubleshooting, and maintaining all fibre optic systems in businesses, homes, schools, and other organizations to ensure that they are working
Measuring the signal strength of television, telephone and internet connections to ensure that there is adequate performance.
Creating sensors and performing inspections to make sure that the fibre optic systems do not have defects that could undermine
Conducting regular inspections of the systems with the aim of locating and repairing any defects detected during the inspections.
Run fibre optic cables underground or aerial and perform premises cabling
- May be required to climb telephone poles and crawl in small spaces for installation purposes
- Determining solutions to any problems and issues that are preventing the fibre optic systems from performing
Constructing a proper slice case as well as preparing and maintaining records, diagrams and schematics relating to the splice case.
Work overtime, weekends, or on emergency call outs as
- Splicing, testing, and troubleshooting of fibre sites and
- Documenting and reporting on work
- Maintaining project and safety
- Inspecting fiber routes and hub sites as preventative
- Ensuring all attended sites are clearly
- Allocating faults and mobilizing resources within minimal time to counter
- Restoring links quickly and
The successful candidate must have the following experience/skills: –
- Technical training in electronics and computers are essential skills for fibre network technicians
- 5+ years Fibre Optic splicing experience (preference given to those with additional experience or FTTx project experience)
- Technical training considered an asset
- Previous experience testing for improved experience
- Experience using FO troubleshooting tools (i.e. OTDR, Mass Fusion Splicing, )
- Drivers license
- Clean driving record
- Customer service skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Strong knowledge of the company and all of its services
- Good working knowledge of hand and power tools used in this position
- Proficient in fibre cable termination with connectors
- Well versed in fusion splicing machine technique
- Strong manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, confined spaces, isolation
- Ability to work in a physically demanding atmosphere including, but is not limited to carry, raise and climb a ladder, carry, lift and handle heavy equipment (manhole covers, cable reels)
- Self-disciplined, motivated and organized
- Effective planning skills
- Managing skills
- At least an associate degree in telecommunications engineering or electrical engineering
- Specialized certifications would be an advantage
Desired Work Experience:
- 5 to 10 years
Desired Qualification Level: