The suitable person will be based in Sandton, Johannesburg at one of our Corporate client’s offices, working to support that company’s IT infrastructure as a priority, while also working on other client sites/projects in the JHB region.
The right person should have a good knowledge and experience working with network and server technology as well as typical IT services found in an advanced network and ensure the stable operation of the in-house networks and to design, install, administer, and optimize company servers, as necessary. This also includes working with the team in planning, developing, installing, configuring, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing all network hardware, software, and communication links and ensuring the availability of client/server applications, configuring all new implementations, and developing processes and procedures for ongoing management of the IT environment.
- At least five years’ equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of the following will be beneficial: Sohos Firewalls, Cisco, Aruba, Ruckus Switches, Networking/VLANs, Ruckus/Aruba/Ubiquiti wireless networks.
- Experience installing, configuring, and maintaining all manners of Windows and Linux server hardware and associated network equipment.
- Familiarity with TCP/IP and other network protocols, firewall management, and operating system configuration.
- General knowledge of storage technologies such as SAN or NAS, as well as Active Directory/Global Catalogue.
- Knowledge of Nutanix, Proxmox technology an advantage.
Responsibilities and Requirements
- Provide technical support to the site.
- Be a problem solver – show initiative, professionalism, be a good communicator, be a quick learner.
- Perform Server Management (Domain, Exchange, AD, File, Print, and Storage) as and when required.
- Good network understanding – ability to work with Cisco, Ruckus, Aruba etc network. Assist with network design and capacity planning, including setting up of vlans and other network configurations.
- Oversee installation, configuration, maintenance, and troubleshooting of end user workstation hardware, software, and peripheral devices
- Assist with strategies for client/server implementations; and the infrastructure required to support those strategies.
- Assist with new server systems, applications, and hardware.
- Implement policies, procedures, and technologies (including firewalls) to ensure IT Security.
- Check help desk database for entries on server and server resource issues; prioritize and respond to help desk tickets as appropriate.
- Plan and implement server upgrades, maintenance fixes, and vendor-supplied patches.
- Provide VoIP and ISP support
- Recommend and execute modifications to server environment in order to improve efficiency, reliability, and performance.
- Develop and maintain server and network documentation as and when required.
- Administer equipment, hardware and software upgrades.
- Practice asset management, including maintenance of network component inventory and related documentation and technical specifications information.
- Perform server and security audits
- Perform and maintain system backups and recovery via backup software.
- Monitor and test network performance and provide network performance statistics and reports.
- Recommend, schedule, and perform network improvements, upgrades, and repairs