Think you’ve been challenged before? Think again!
This role can be fully remote within South Africa
This position reports to the Data Systems Director
Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
- Designing, developing, testing, and maintaining data architectures.
- Preparing data for descriptive, predictive and prescriptive modeling
- Automating repetitive tasks and manual processes related with the data usage
- Optimizing data delivery
- Designing, developing, and testing large stream data pipelines to ingest, aggregate, clean, and distribute data models ready for analysis
- Ensuring the highest standard in data integrity
- Leveraging best practices in continuous integration and delivery
- Collaborating with other engineers, ML experts, analysts, and stakeholders to produce the most efficient and valuable solutions
- Contributing to our data democratisation and literacy vision by making accessible and easy-to-use data products and tools
- Implementing features, technology, and processes that move us towards industry best practices, improving on scalability, efficiency, reliability, and security
- Operations and ownership of systems in production, responding to incidents
The skills we need:
- Works well with people and is passionate about helping people be their best
- Is a team player, an active listener, mentor, and able to communicate well
- Shows solid reasoning and decision making, with the ability to work under pressure
- Is passionate about technology, systems and data
- Is curious, always learning, and keeping up to date with the industry
- Has a deep understanding of data pipelining, streaming, and Big Data technologies, methods, patterns, and techniques.
- Has a solid grasp on data modeling, schema design, data warehouse, and data lake design and implementation
- Can troubleshoot complex database operations and performance issues
- Can automate tasks using shell scripting or writing small applications
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced Diploma in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering and a minimum of 3 years experience in a software/technology environment is required.
- In the event that a candidate does not have a Bachelor’s Degree or an Advanced Diploma (in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Engineering), an equivalent experience requirement must be met, which equates to a minimum of 6 years experience in a software/technology environment.
- Experience with open source relational database systems (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL, etc.)
- Significant technical experience and a proven track record of data modeling and schema design
- A thorough understanding of database and data warehousing principles (e.g. OLAP, Data Marts, Star Schema, Snowflake, etc.)
- Write code (we use Java and Python)
- Familiar with CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Travis, Circle CI, etc.
- Experience with Kafka, PubSub, or other event-based systems
- Experience with stream data pipeline frameworks or solutions such as Apache Flink, Apache Beam, Storm, Databricks, etc.
- Experience with data warehousing, data lakes, lambda/kappa architectures
- Experience working in cloud environments and with containerisation frameworks, tools and platforms (e.g. Docker, Kubernetes, GKE, etc.).
- Computer science
- big data