Main purpose of the job:
- Coordinate and manage all CHAMPS streams in a cohesive and strategic manner working closely with the CHAMPS PI and the CHAMPS stream leads
- Wits Vaccines & Infectious Diseases Analytics (VIDA) Research Unit, Chris Hani Baragwanath Academic Hospital, Soweto
Key performance areas:
Research program development and implementation including Programme Management and epidemiology oversight
- In conjunction with respective P.I/ P.I.’s manage the full scope of the study conduct including protocol development and implementation, reports and reporting, and publications according to all applicable standards of the respective Sponsors and RMPRU Standard Operating Procedures
- Collate and formalize all possible cross-functional efforts to achieve study objectives and goals
- Liaise with all internal and external stakeholders within the organization at all levels of the business in order to meet program goals
- Ensure effective stakeholder engagement and feedback channels
- Prepare and facilitate presentations for sponsors and other stakeholders as requested
- Provide support to other research sites, District hospitals, and District health facilities where necessary e.g., Community outreach projects, staff training, and implementation of protocols as required
- Provide oversight to implementation of quality assurance processes to ensure accurate and timely data collection and management
- Provide oversight to the administrative component or relevant research projects
- Writing of manuscripts, protocols, and grants as required and in conjunction with your respective line manager and/or P
Effective participation in the senior leadership team, as requested by a deputy director and directors
- Attend senior leadership meetings
- Contribute to decision-making and strategy
- Contribute to the furthering of the organization, including medium to long-term goals of the organization
- Attend to all staffing requirements and administration of the division
- Supervise and manage the duties of subordinate staff to ensure optimal staff utilization and maintenance of sound labor relations
- Identify substandard performance by team members and take necessary corrective action
- Promote harmony, teamwork, and sharing of information
- Support the Project Manager with the management of the fellowship and training programs
- Act in a professional and friendly manner in all dealings with internal stakeholders
- Show a high level of customer centricity at all times
Effective self-management and performance ownership
- Take ownership and accountability for tasks and demonstrate effective self-management
- Follow through to ensure that quality and productivity standards of own work are consistently and accurately maintained
- Maintain a positive attitude and respond openly to feedback.
- Take ownership of driving your own career development by participating in ongoing training and development activities such as workshops, forums, conferences, etc.
Required minimum education and training:
- PhD Degree in Epidemiology, Public Health, or related field
Professional body registration:
- Registration with the HPCSA
Desirable additional education, work experience, and personal abilities:
- Minimum 8 years of working experience as an Epidemiologist in a research environment
- 5 years of experience at the senior management level overseeing grant-funded programs and large epidemiology studies or surveillance systems
- Expert-level experience with large databases and complex research data analyses
- Proven track record in the research grant application and multi-level collaborations with local and international collaborators/stakeholders
- In-depth understanding of South African health systems and experience working with the Department of Health
- Proven scientific publication record with at least 3 first or second-author peer-reviewed manuscripts
- Prior experience in mentoring junior scientists and supervising of post graduate students
- Only if you do meet the minimum job requirements and experience as mentioned above, you may submit a detailed updated CV.
- Please Apply Online and complete your registration on Ditto Hire (our application tracking system) to enable and protect you as a candidate to accept the new POPIA terms and conditions. This will then create your permanent profile with which you can apply for all jobs as advertised by AJ PERSONNEL. However, you may remove your profile from AJ PERSONNEL when you are no longer in the job market.
- AJ Personnel is fully POPIA Compliant.
- Please take note that the applicants who do not adhere to the above criteria will not be considered for the respective position.
- The closing date for all applications: 11 July 2022.
- Wits Health Consortium will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates who have not been contacted within two weeks of the closing date can consider their applications to be unsuccessful.
- Our Client, WHC – VIDA, maintains mandatory Covid-19 requirements, and as such only Covid-19 vaccinated incumbents will be considered for positions.
- WHC, in accordance with its Employment Equity goals and plan, will give preference to suitable applicants from designated groups as defined in the Employment Equity Act 55 of 1998 and subsequent amendments thereto.
- AJ Personnel is only responsible for advertising the advertisement on behalf of their client Wits Health Consortium.
- AJ Personnel does not have any salary or other information regarding the position.
About The Employer:
The Vaccines and Infectious Diseases Analytics (VIDA) Research Unit of the University of the Witwatersrand, formerly RMPRU (Respiratory and Meningeal Pathogens Research Unit) has for over 20 years conducted numerous studies to assess the burden of and to prevent vaccine-preventable diseases (VPD).
Current studies and projects include infant rotavirus and BCG trials.