iThemba LABS seeks to appoint a Junior Software Developer who will be responsible to maintain, design, develop, test and contribute to the commissioning of software used for data acquisition and control, and monitoring systems for radiation detection at NRF iThemba LABS facilities.
- Apply expertise in data acquisition systemsApply expertise in control and monitoring software systemsApply skill in software developmentWork closely with internal scientific staff & external scientific users for the development of softwareFault finding and updates to software applicationsMaintain and update documents and records for software and systemsConsult with users on requirements for approved projects and possible future experimentsProvide regular updated reports on status of software and systems
- Diploma / Advanced Certificate / NQF 6
- 1-1 years
- National Diploma (NDip) in IT Programming or equivalent
- Experience in building and maintaining data acquisition (DAQ) or control and monitoring software systems in a research environment
- Attention to detail
- Ability to work under pressure with minimal supervision
- Willingness to work outside working hours to commission and test systems during beam delivery
- Enthusiasm and unwavering commitment
- Passion for excellence
- Willingness to learn
- Proficiency in verbal and written communications necessary to effectively collaborate in team environments, and present technical information
- Some knowledge of one or more of the following areas: radiation detection, digital signal processing, parallel processing or continuous integration and delivery (CI/CD)
Willing to learn how to use new software packages and software design techniques. Good communication skills for reporting both written and orally. Need to be able to work under pressure, have good decision-making and time management skills, and is self-motivated.The NRF website provides more details on the initiatives and activities
Applicants should submit a comprehensive CV by registering and apply online through the NRF Recruitment and Selection Portal.
Applications should be accompanied by a letter of motivation indicating the applicant·s suitability for the position.
The names and contact details of at least three referees should be provided.
- Skilled in applied field of position
- Knowledge to be relevant
- Responsible in performing duties
About The Employer:
The National Research Foundation (NRF) supports and promotes research and human capital development through funding, the provision of National Research Facilities and science outreach platforms and programmes to the broader community in all fields of science and technology, including natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and humanities.
iThemba LABS is Africa’s leading research facility for accelerator-based science that is committed to advance knowledge, transform lives and inspire the nation. We do this through probing fundamental aspects of nuclear structure, investigating the origins of matter, and advancing humanity??s understanding of condensed matter. In addition, we have a direct societal impact through the provision of radioisotopes for the health sector and a biophysics research program focussing on the impact of radiation on human health, as well as isotope analysis for the environmental sector.